Libraries & Spaces
Responsible Use of Electronic Resources
The Georgetown University Library provides faculty, students, and staff with access to a wide range of electronic resources, including databases, e-journals, and e-books. All of our e-resources contain copyrighted materials, the use of which is subject to license agreements with publishers that govern how the e-resource may be used. It is very important that all library patrons abide by the terms of our license agreements; violations may result in temporary or permanent loss of access to the e-resource for the entire Georgetown community.
|Usually Permitted||Usually not Permitted|
|Making limited print or electronic copies (such as single articles)||Excessive or systematic or substantial printing, copying or downloading (such as entire journal issues or books)|
|Using for personal, instructional, or research needs||Using for commercial purposes (such as selling or re-distributing content)|
|Posting links to specific content||Posting actual content or articles to websites or listservs|
|Quoting with proper citation||Modifying, altering, or creating derivative works|
Other uses of e-resources may be permitted or prohibited by the license agreement, including:
- electronic reserves
- text mining
- scholarly sharing of articles
- course packs
- multiple copies for classroom use
- interlibrary lending
- authorized users
- The majority of license agreements define authorized users as currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff of Georgetown University
- In most cases, walk-in users (individuals who are physically present on GU campus and who are not current GU students, faculty or staff) are also included
- A limited number of e-resources are available for off-campus use by alumni; click here for a list
If you have questions or need additional information about the terms of e-resources licensed by the Library, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about copyright, please email Meg Oakley, Director, Copyright & Scholarly Communication, at email@example.com.