The first prospectus of Georgetown College, issued by President DuBourg on January 1, 1798. The prospectus was also available in French and Spanish. Fr. DuBourg was a native of Cape Francois on the island of Santo Domingo and a member of the congregation of St. Sulpice. He was the first Georgetown president to attempt to act on a broad scale, expanding the faculty, hiring fencing masters, buying silver and a piano. Unfortunately, his ability to raise money did not match his ability to spend it, and he was forced out in the face of rising debts.
In commenting on the Neale administration, John Carroll remarked " Georgetown should not be run on the principles of a convent," and generations of our students have done their best to live up to the challenge.
The rules of 1829 were considered much more lenient than those of the Neale administration.
Old Georgetown hands are surprised to learn that there were women at the college in the earliest days. Justane Douat was hired as a nurse for the small boys. Note the entry to cash paid for the seal of the corporation. We believe that she was giving money to engrave the emblem displayed here. Sukey was one of a small number of slaves who worked at the college along with free blacks.
"Mr. Gaston presented a petition of the President and Directors of the College of Georgetown, praying to be invested with authority and power to confer the usual academical honors..."