SPECIAL COLLECTIONS HOME PAGE
GO TO FOLDER LISTING
GO TO INDEX
THE MARYLAND PROVINCE COLLECTION
This collection was gathered from material that had been scattered inthe
Georgetown archives, but that pertained to different aspects of theMaryland
Province of Jesuits; particularly, there is emphasis on thegeographical
locations of Jesuit activity in or near Maryland. Geography isthe general
organizational principal--by university, college, seminary,manor, mission,
or novitiate location. Jesuits of the province operated anumber of parishes,
some of which later were transferred to the secularclergy. These account for
many of the geographical locations. In addition,certain locations of major
Jesuit installations figure more frequently, andthose tend to include larger
quantities of papers and archival material.
In understanding the
collection two difficulties intrude: the first isthat places are sometimes
referred to by the geographical name (PortTobacco or Bel Alton), sometimes
by the formal name (St. Thomas Manor); thesecond is that Jesuit organization
in what is now the northeastern part ofthe United States was first a mission
(1634-1833), then Maryland Province(1833-1880), then Maryland-New York
Province (1880-ca. 1975), and thenreduced in geographical scope as New York
was separated from it. Forconsistency through these administrative
evolutions and varying titles, thecollection is called simply the Maryland
Province Collection (MD PROVCOLL), and is divided into series which
correspond to geographicallocations. Geographically-related smaller missions
are grouped into aseries. For a map and brief organizational history, see
"Atlas GeographicusSocietatis Jesu" (Paris, 1900), "Provincia
ACCESSION DATA: Created by transferring material from earlier archival arrangements atGeorgetown University.
BULK DATES: 1830 - 1960
SPAN DATES: 1683 - 1970
EXTENT: 20 boxes
SERIES: 1. Bohemia Manor, Cecil Co., Maryland
SERIES DESCRIPTION: This is an important and often-referred to early Jesuit site in northernMaryland, on the east side of the Chesapeake, near what is now the Delawarestate line. Missions radiated from it.
SERIES: 2. Pennsylvania Missions: Conewago, Goshenhoppen, etc
SERIES DESCRIPTION: Conewago, also called McSherrytown, lies about four miles west ofHanover, PA. It was the principal Jesuit site in that area and servedmissions in the vicinity of Gettysburg, Paradise, York, New Oxford,Carlisle, and other places.
SERIES: 3. Whitemarsh Manor, Prince George's Co., Maryland
SERIES DESCRIPTION: Whitemarsh was a large (ca. 2,000 acres) manor on both sides of thePatuxent River, mostly in P.G. County, but partially in Anne Arundel Co.,where the city of Bowie is now located. It was an early installation, andat times the site of formal training programs for Jesuits.
SERIES: 4. Whitemarsh / Archbishop Marechal Controversy
SERIES DESCRIPTION: In the early nineteenth century the Archbishop of Baltimore contendedthat Whitemarsh properly belonged under his control. The Jesuits resisted,and the matter eventually ended up in Rome (more than once). The Jesuitsretained the property until selling most of it for development after WorldWar II.
SERIES: 5. Truth & Trust, & St. Thomas's, St. Mary's Co., MD
SERIES DESCRIPTION: This series begins with very early (17th c.) documents tracing therights of the Jenkins family in the property which later was operated bythe Jesuits. NB: "Truth and Trust" and St. Thomas's land adjoined eachother in St. Mary's Co., Maryland. This is not the St. Thomas Residenceoperated by the Jesuits in Charles Co., Maryland, a site lying some thirtymiles further west.
SERIES: 6. Newtown, Leonardtown, & St. Inigoes--St. Mary's Co
SERIES DESCRIPTION: This series groups material on Jesuit places in St. Mary's County,except for "St. Thomas's Land" and "Truth & Trust" which were covered inthe preceding series. Very little material from those Jenkins-relatedplaces were associated with the places of this series except near the end(1840s) when some contracts concerning the two former Jenkins propertieswere executed by Jesuits stationed at Newtown. Generally, however, whileseries 5 and 6 both concern St. Mary's County, the two have little incommon.
SERIES: 7. St. Thomas's Manor and Missions, Charles Co., MD
SERIES DESCRIPTION: Similar to the immediately preceding series for St. Mary's County, thisone concerns an equivalent principal location and the missions andproperties that emanated from it in Charles Co.
SERIES: 8. St. Joseph's Manor (Tuckahoe), Talbot, Co., MD
SERIES DESCRIPTION: This manor was on the Eastern Shore of Maryland near the head of the WyeRiver. This series is very small; additional eighteenth-century material onthis site appears in the Mosley Papers.
SERIES: 9. Frederick, MD: St. John's Ch. & Coll.; Novitiate
SERIES DESCRIPTION: "Frederick, MD" insofar as the Jesuits are concerned is a confusedmatter due to the frequently-changing scope of their operations there. St.John's Church was the earliest form of Jesuit service, but in 1829-1859they also operated a "St. John's Literary Institution" which came to becalled St. John's College. The Jesuits later phased this out and itdevolved into a lower-level school. At the same time, two orders of nunsoperated schools for girls, and, from 1834 until 1903 The Maryland-New YorkProvince maintained its Novitiate training for entering Jesuits inFrederick. Most of the above operations took place near the present St.John Church on Second St., but there was one site outside of town and alsoa "villa" or vacation spot west of Frederick, where biological warfareresearch is now conducted by the U.S. government; at various times theSociety served a half-dozen missions within Frederick Co. The bulk of papers in this series pertain to the Novitiate, the nextlargest group of the College, and the rest to the Church or personalities.None pertain directly to the missions in Frederick county outside the city.
SERIES: 10. Woodstock College, Howard/Baltimore Counties, MD
SERIES DESCRIPTION: Woodstock was, during most of its existence, the principal seminary forthe Jesuits in the Eastern U.S. The students, numbering from roughly 50 to300, spent three years there generally, in a college-like, rural, andsomewhat isolated environment. This is a lengthy series within the Collection--three boxes--spanningthe time from the foundation of Woodstock in 1867-1869 until it was closed,sold, and turned to other purposes in 1969-1971. The series begins with allthe pertinent correspondence--about thirteen folders--arrangedchronologically covering the entire period. Other aspects of the series arethen arranged according to the degree of originality of the material,divided roughly into 19th c. and 20th c. sections. Original manuscripts orpublications are followed by printed ephemera and then clippings througheach of the two centuries. Finally, there are separate folders forunpublished histories, Woodstock's missions, the Woodstock-Georgetownformal affiliation, conferences at Woodstock, and one file on the closingof Woodstock. The series concludes with a file of photos, and with twobiographical files on two men associated especially with Woodstock.
SERIES: 11. Loyola College, Baltimore
SERIES DESCRIPTION: This series contains about 1.5 boxes of material, includingcorrespondence, some MS material, printed ephemera, and a few photos.Covering over a century, note that Loyola occupied three locations duringthis period.
SERIES: 12. Mount St. Mary's, Emmitsburg, MD (Non-Jesuit)
SERIES DESCRIPTION: This college was not operated by the Jesuits, but because of its closephysical proximity to Georgetown and Woodstock, and the great age which itwas proud of sharing with Georgetown, considerable interaction withGeorgetown is reflected in this series.
SERIES: 13. Manresa Institute, Keyser Island, S. Norwalk, CT
SERIES DESCRIPTION: The province bought this 23-acre island near South Norwalk, CT, in 1889to use as a retreat and vacation place for all of the colleges and schoolsof the province. This series contains miscellaneous correspondence to,from, and about Manresa and the island, minutes of some board meetingsaround 1920, some MSS about it, including one history, and a few clippings.
SERIES: 14. Province-Wide General Material and Miscellaneous
SERIES DESCRIPTION: This series is the tidying-up one that brings together all the materialnot clearly associated with specific geographical locations in theprovince, and with three isolated missions not associated with any previouslocations. There is, nevertheless, in parts of this series a tendencytoward geographic emphasis. For example, the papers on the novices tend tofocus on geographic locations as the novitiates moved from place to place.In general, this series contains lists of SJ members, their death dates,and their entry dates, with some additional kinds of papers from laterperiods such as the Province newsletter.
GO TO FOLDER LIST
GO TO INDEX
SPECIAL COLLECTIONS HOME PAGE