Section II

20 Archbishop John Carroll. Oil on canvas by Gilbert Stuart (unsigned), ca. 1803-1805.

The most famous likeness of John Carroll, commissioned by Robert Barry, a devoted friend. (GUC)

21 Silver pocket-watch. [N.p., before 1815]

This watch belonged to Archbishop Carroll. Its place and date of manufacture have not been ascertained; the movement is unmarked, and the case bears the stamps GFT and 1363. (GUC)

22 Missale romanum. Antwerp: Plantin, 1574.

An early octavo edition of the Tridentine missal. According to Bishop James Van de Velde and others, this was the missal used by John Carroll while attending the missions at Rock Creek. The binding is American, ca. 1825-1850. (GULSC)

23 [Theological notes on the Sacraments, in Latin] [Liège? ca. 1765-1769]

Though these notes, in the hand of John Carroll, are undated, it is likely that they are from the time of his theologate. As is the case in most of the "school manuscripts" (cf. 30) authorship is not ascribed, since they represent a cumulative effort of lecture, study, and annotation. see: The Catholic School Manuscripts Collections; and The Jesuit School Manuscripts Collection. (GULSC)

24 Some thoughts upon America, and upon the danger from Roman Catholicks there. [London? 1739-1740]

Sabin 86780. An anonymous broadside cautioning against the danger of allowing Catholics to settle in the English colonies. Declaring himself against religious persecution, the author stresses nonetheless the menace of a league between the Catholics of French Canada and those of the English colonies. (GULSC)

25 The New Testament. Rheims: J. Fogny, 1582. (GULSC)

26 The New Testament. [Rouen] J. Cousturier, 1633.

STC 2884 and 2946, the first and fourth editions of the Rheims version. Both volumes were part of the library of the Jesuit residence at St. Francis Xavier (Bohemia Manor) in the 18th century, as well as St. Joseph's in Talbot County. Catholic English Bibles and Testaments were so scarce that they were literally read to pieces (and repaired again, as is the 1633 volume shown here). Not until 1790 was the Rheims-Douay text printed in America. (GULSC)

27 [Ledger and day-book, Bohemia Manor] 1735-1761.


The Jesuits established their second Maryland school (the first ran briefly at Newtown in 1677) at Bohemia Manor, on the Eastern Shore at the head of Chesapeake Bay. John Carroll entered in 1745 to prepare for the Jesuit College of St. Omer in Flanders. The opening displayed shows the account of Mr. Wayte, the schoolmaster. (MSJ)

28 Calvert, Charles, third Lord Baltimore. [Grant of land to Major Peter Sayer] St. Mary's City, June 1, 1685.

Part of Worsell Manor, the subject of this grant, subsequently (1728) passed to Rev. Peter Attwood, S.J. and was incorporated into what the Jesuits called "Bohemia Manor." (GULSC)

29 Silver chalice and paten. England, ca. 1670.

The history of this chalice can be traced back to the Peter Sayer (d. 1697) who received the grant of Worsell Manor in 1685 (cf. 28). Typically English, its mark TP in a shield has not been associated in the past with work done for the English recusants. (Carley)

30 [Collection of mathematical treatises and notes, in Latin and English] [N.p., ca. 1720]

This manuscript is associated by tradition with Rev. Henry Neale, S.J., recognized as a talented mathematician, who died in Philadelphia in 1748. Such manuscripts, derived from lectures in the European Jesuit colleges, often served in place of printed books both for teaching and for reference. (GULSC)

31 [Record book, Maryland Mission] [V.p.] 1724-1815.

The "Old Records" represents an early effort at codifying the history of the Maryland Mission. Begun by Peter Attwood in the 1720's, it includes a comprehensive list of lands held by the Society; a summary of ecclesiastical faculties and privileges; a list of births of slaves on St. Thomas Manor; and a list of Jesuits who served on the mission, 1632-1815. (MSJ)

32 To the Hon:ble the Upper House of Assembly of the Province of Maryland. The petition of sundry Ro. Catholics on behalf of themselves and others of the same communion residing in the Province aforesaid. [Docketed by Charles Carroll, April 10, 1756] (MSJ)

33 Ridout, John [secretary to the Governor], to Charles Carroll, Basil Waring, Clement Hill, and Ignatius Digges, Annapolis, May 12, 1756. (MSJ)

34 Carroll, Charles, to Ignatius Digges, Basil Waring, and Clement Hill [n.p.] May 13, 1756. (MSJ)

35 [Carroll, Charles] A list of papers sent to England in defense of the Roman Catholics of Maryland [N.p., 1756]

The lower house of the Maryland assembly increased its attacks on Catholics after 1750; its measures were generally blocked by the Upper House and Council. Charles Carroll, the father of the Signer, led the Catholic petitioners against these measures. The petition displayed proclaims the loyalty of Catholics, yet "We are informed a Bill is now before yor Hon:rs by a Clause of which the lands of all Ro. Cats are doubly taxed." On May 12 John Ridout denied knowledge of such a bill in the name of the Governor, who suggested a petition to the lower house should such a bill appear there. Yet the engrossed bill passed both houses on May 15. Faced with this duplicity, Carroll refused to join in petitions to the lower house. We find Carroll's comments in his list of documents sent to England: "Oh, the sagacious, merry and witty Govr! who ordered his clerk to write to me . . . to oppose a law which passed the House the day Mr. Ridout wrote his letter . . . Most governors find their Lower Houses of Assembly assuming powers . . . [the Governor's doctrine] would make the Upper house and Governor cyphers."

36 [Missale romanum. Goshenhoppen mission? ca. 1745]

One of two missals copied out by Rev. Theodore Schneider, S.J., founder of the mission at Goshenhoppen (now Bally), Pa., in 1741. The scarcity of Catholic devotional and liturgical works was a constant problem until well into the 19th century. (GULSC)

37 [Ledger, St. Thomas Manor] 1755-1817.

The ledger is in very poor condition. The leaf displayed lists tenants and their rents ca. 1755. The yearly income of the manor is difficult to tally, but appears to have totalled 40 fowl, 21,050 lbs. of tobacco, and 1,050 lbs. of pork. (MSJ)

38 Silver chalice and paten. England, Ca. 1650-1670.

The early history of this two-piece chalice is not known. It is of a relatively common type, though the maker is not identified. Chalices of this sort would have been, perhaps, those most frequently used in the Maryland missions and among Maryland Catholic families. (GUC)

39 Carroll, John, to the Continental Congress [n.p., 1776] (Incomplete retained copy)

In February, 1776, the Congress asked Carroll to accompany Benjamin Franklin, Samuel Chase, and Charles Carroll to Montreal with the aim of securing the neutrality, if not the active assistance, of the Canadians. Carroll reluctantly accepted the commission: "I have observed that when the ministers of Religion leave the duties of their profession to take a busy part in political matters, they generally fall into contempt." (BCA)

40 [Kennedy, John Pendleton] Rob of the Bowl: A Legend of St. Inigoe's. Philadelphia: Lea & Blanchard, 1838.

First edition of a novel set in St. Mary's County in 1681; central to its action is the continuing rivalry of Catholic and Protestant factions in the colony. Parrington called it "one of the most finished and delightful of our earlier romances. (GULSC)
 
 
 
 


Section I  Section III