1735 January 8. Birth of John Carroll
1773 Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) suppressed (abolished) by the Vatican.
1774 John Carroll returns to the United States after 26 years in Europe. He went to Europe in order to receive a Catholic education, which was then illegal in the colonies, and stayed to join the Society of Jesus.
Archbishop John Carroll by Gilbert Stuart
1783 After the American revolution sweeps away colonial era prohibitions against Catholic education, Carroll begins to plan the building of an academy.
1786 November. Group organized by Carroll to administer the former Jesuit properties resolves to establish a school.
1787 Carroll publishes "Proposals for Establishing an Academy at George-town, Patowmack-River, Maryland" and forms a fund-raising committee.
1788 April. Construction begins on "Old South", our first building, even before the deed to the property was obtained.
1789 January 23. "for and in consideration of the sum of seventy-five pounds current money" which had been "in hand paid", John Carroll, Robert Molyneux and John Ashton received from Colonel William Deakins, Jr. and John Threlkeld the deed to the first plot of land to bear the name Georgetown College. It was a rectangular plot not quite as wide as Old North, extending roughly to the roadways on the north and south sides of the quadrangle.
1791 November 22. William Gaston of North Carolina, our first student, takes up residence at the College.
1792 September 11. First tuition increase.
1795 Old North substantially completed.
1797 August 7. George Washington visits the College.
1805 The Society of Jesus partially restored, and Jesuits begin to fill most teaching and administrative positions at Georgetown.
1813 William Gaston elected to Congress.
1814 August 24. Students watch the burning of Washington by British troops.
1814 Full restoration of the Society of Jesus.
1814 Large exterior handball courts constructed.
1815 March 1. Bill granting Georgetown a charter empowering the college to grant degrees signed by President Madison. William Gaston helped steer the bill through Congress.
December 13. John Carroll died.
1817 First degrees awarded
Old North in 18191820 Graduates allowed to pursue additional studies in philosophy, thus commencing graduate studies at Georgetown.
1829 President Andrew Jackson sends his grandnephew to Georgetown, where he hoped "the discipline would do him good." It didn't; the young man was soon asked to leave.
1830 Founding of the Philodemic Debating Society.
1843 Construction of the Observatory begun.
1844 Bill clarifying the corporate status of Georgetown passed by congress.
1849 Planning begins for the Georgetown Medical School.
1851 Teaching begins in the Medical School.
The College is on the hill on the left
1861 January. Students begin to leave the college in anticipation of war. By May, only a handful remain.
May 4. Much of the college occupied by Union forces.
1866 Informal intercollegiate baseball competition begins.
1867 July 2. First alumni reunion.
1870 Georgetown Law School established.
1873 May 22. Rev. Patrick Healy, S.J. named acting President; made full President July 31, 1874.
1876 The College Boat Club adopts blue and gray as the team colors in celebration of the reunification of the nation.
1877 Construction began on Healy Hall, then known as the "New Building".
1879 Exterior of Healy completed, though interior work continued for 22 years.
1880 Alumni Association established.
1889 Georgetown celebrates its centenary; either several years late, or several years early, depending on your frame of reference.
1889 First intercollegiate football game. Univ. of Virginia chief rival.
1893 Construction of Dahlgren Chapel of the Sacred Heart.
1904 Georgetown begins competition in basketball
1904 Founding of the Nursing School
1906 Ryan gymnasium opened.
1908 Ye Domesday Booke published by the Law School; becomes the annual yearbook.
1912 Carroll statue unveiled.
1919 School of Foreign Service founded.
1920 January 14. First issue of the Hoya.
1925 New North building constructed.
1929 Georgetown Medical School moves to its present location.
1930 Construction of Copley Dorm.
1932 Construction of White-Gravenor Building
1941 Georgetown plays Mississippi State in the Orange Bowl.
1943 Georgetown loses NCAA basketball championship to Wyoming.
1947 Hospital moves to present location
1950 McDonough Gym opens.
1951 Division I football abolished.
1963 Reiss Science Building opens.
1964 Intercollegiate football returns.
1964 Harbin and Darnall Halls built.
1966 October 4. Bill signed recognizing "Georgetown University" as the legal name of the corporation. Prior to this the legal name was still technically "Georgetown College."
1968 William J. Clinton graduates from the School of Foreign Service.
1969 Women admitted to the College of Arts and Sciences.
1970 Lauinger Library opens.
1971 May Day riots close the campus and most of Washington.
1972 March. John Thompson appointed basketball coach.
1976 Rev. Timothy S. Healy, S.J. named President.
1982 Hoyas lose NCAA championship to North Carolina.
1984 Hoyas win NCAA tourney over Houston.
1988-89 Celebration of the University's Bicentenary.
1988 Leavey Center dedicated
1989 Rev. Leo J. O'Donovan, S.J. named President of the University.
1992 William J. Clinton, S.F.S. '68, holds formal reception for the Diplomatic Corps in the quadrangle prior to his inauguration as President of the United States.
1996 Applications reach all time high: final count expected to top 13,000 for 1400 positions.
THE CAMPUS TODAY
To be continued. . .