Lauinger Library, including the Woodstock Theological Library and the Gelardin New Media Center, will remain open for their normally scheduled hours today even though the University is closed.
The Blommer Science Library and the SCS Downtown Library are closed.
- About Us
- Media Collection
Gelardin New Media Center Equipment Use Policy
Our equipment offerings are vast and varied. We have simple gear for simple projects, and professional gear for true (and aspiring) professionals.
- You must have a valid Georgetown GoCard to borrow equipment or log in to our computers.
- Equipment check-outs are for up to 72 hours. Please plan accordingly.
- Due to the high demand for equipment, we are only able to grant 72-hour checkouts on a case-by-case basis depending on availability. If you need equipment for longer than 72 hours, please arrange extended loans with the Head of the New Media Center at least one-week in advance of the intended checkout time.
- Reserve equipment by phone (202-687-7410) or in person. The GNMC is located on the 1st floor of Lauinger library. You can also reserve equipment yourself via our online reservation system.
- Please be on time to pick up your gear, or call to let us know you will be late. Due to high demand, we reserve the right to cancel your reservation if you are more than 30 minutes late.
- Fines for equipment kits are $5 per hour late. Bring your equipment back on time! See detailed fine information under the library's borrowing policies.
- When you receive your equipment, check that your battery is charged and that your equipment works. The GNMC charges batteries and inspects equipment regularly, but as responsible producers, it behooves you to check your gear before taking it into the field.
- Some of our cameras record to miniDV tapes, which you need to purchase yourself. Be prepared! The GU Bookstore carries miniDV tapes.
- If you are picking up more than 2 pieces of bulky equipment, consider bringing a friend or also reserving an equipment cart to help out.
- We very highly recommend that you learn how to use your equipment before renting it. We have online tutorials and guides, or you can schedule a one-on-one consultation for hands-on guidance. Training is mandatory for some equipment. See below for details.
For the safety of our advanced equipment, some items require that you receive in-person training before you can reserve it or check it out. Previously, the below items did not require any training.
Will users be able to make a reservation for equipment that they are not trained for? You will only be able to reserve restricted equipment after completing a short training. Consultations can be scheduled 3 days in advance. Please plan ahead, and contact us if you have any questions.
What about returning users who have used the equipment before? You will need to take the training even if you have used restricted equipment in the past. However, if you wish to forego the training because you are confident in your experience with the equipment, you may speak to a supervisor about becoming an authorized user. To speak to a supervisor, please come to the front desk during normal hours or give us a call at 202-687-7410. The supervisor will ask you a couple of questions about your experience.