Policies & FAQ
Our equipment offerings are vast and varied. We have simple gear for simple projects, and professional gear for true (and aspiring) professionals.
- You must have a valid Georgetown GoCard to borrow equipment or log in to our computers.
- Reserve equipment by phone (202-687-7410) or in person. The GNMC is located on the 1st floor of Lauinger library. You can also reserve equipment yourself via our online reservation system.
- Equipment check-outs are for up to 72 hours. (iPad and Chromebook loans = 1 week, Kindle loan = 2 weeks).
- If you need equipment for longer than 72 hours, please arrange extended loans by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org at least one-week in advance of the intended checkout time.
- Please be on time to pick up your gear, or call to let us know you will be late. Due to high demand, your reservation will be canceled if you are more than 30 minutes late.
- Borrowers may renew items 2 times for an additional 72 hours per checkout depending upon availability. This applies to all items, including computers and tablets. Every time you initiate a renewal, the 72-hour checkout is reset, meaning that you can't have back-to-back checkouts and renewals to extend a loan for 9 days.
- Each type of item may be checked out a maximum of 28 days per semester, or the equivalent of 9 72-hour checkouts.
- Fines for equipment kits are $5 per hour late. Bring your equipment back on time! See detailed fine information under the library's borrowing policies.
- Borrowers will be assessed replacement charges for lost or broken items, and for equipment more than one week overdue. A $50 processing fee will be assessed in addition to the replacement costs and any overdue fines. Charges will be added to the student's account through the Bursar's office.
- Students may check out a max of 2 cameras and 20 items in total at a time.
- Borrowing privileges may be revoked if a user accrues fines in excess of $100, shows a history of returning items late or disregards library policies.
- When you receive your equipment, check that your battery is charged and that your equipment works. The GNMC charges batteries and inspects equipment regularly, but as responsible producers, it behooves you to check your gear before taking it into the field.
- If you are picking up more than 2 pieces of bulky equipment, consider bringing a friend or also reserving an equipment cart to help out.
- We highly recommend that you learn how to equipment before checking it out and training is mandatory for some items. Please schedule a one-on-one consultation for hands-on guidance. See below for details.
For the safety of our advanced equipment and to ensure that you can use the equipment successfully, some items require that you receive in-person training before you can reserve it or check it out.
Will users be able to make a reservation for equipment that they are not trained for? You will only be able to reserve restricted equipment after completing a short training. Consultations can be scheduled 3 days in advance. Please plan ahead, and contact us if you have any questions.
What about returning users who have used the equipment before? You will need to take the training even if you have used restricted equipment in the past. However, if you wish to forego the training because you are confident in your experience with the equipment, you may speak to a supervisor about becoming an authorized user. To speak to a supervisor, please come to the front desk during normal hours or give us a call at 202-687-7410. The supervisor will ask you a couple of questions about your experience.