Libraries & Spaces
Bernard Blommer Memorial Book Endowment Fund
See a list of items purchased with this fund.
The Bernard Blommer Memorial Book Endowment Fund was established in 1971 by Mrs. Patrick (Charlotte) McDermott in Bernard's memory. Bernard Blommer was a member of the College Class of 1930 and went on to found the Blommer Chocolate Company in 1939 with his brothers, Henry J. Blommer Sr. (C'26) and Aloysius J. Blommer (C'31).
By 1948, the business had established its international reputation as a manufacturer of premier quality chocolate and was shipping hundreds of thousands of pounds of processed chocolate to chocolatiers all over the world. The Blommer Science Library, located in the Reiss Building at Georgetown University, bears the family name. It houses the Georgetown University Library's science collection and provides information services for graduate programs in biology and chemistry and undergraduate programs in biology, chemistry, computer science, mathematics and physics. Succeeding generations of Blommers have attended Georgetown and been active participants in the welfare of the Library.
This fund is for the acquisition of books in the sciences.