- Libraries & Spaces
We are currently installing new doors in the stairwell in Lauinger Library. During this time, visitors will not be able to use landings that are under construction, either to enter that floor or pass through en route to another. We encourage visitors to use the elevators, although the stairwell may still be used to access floors that are not under construction. Landings under construction should only be used in the case of an emergency.
The two cannons, which shot a nine pound cannon ball, were given to the University in 1888 and were placed in front of Healy in 1898. They were, indeed, on the two ships, the Ark and the Dove, which brought the original settlers to Maryland in 1634. According to Navy Department experts, they are Spanish-made and are believed to have been salvaged from the Spanish Armada, which was defeated on England's shores in 1588. During the 1928 presidential campaign of Alfred E. Smith, in which anti-Catholic prejudice played a major part, a notoriously anti-Catholic journal made reference to the cannons when it published a story accusing the Jesuits of Georgetown of having guns trained on the nation's capital.