- Libraries & Spaces
We are currently installing new doors in the stairwell in Lauinger Library. During this time, visitors will not be able to use landings that are under construction, either to enter that floor or pass through en route to another. We encourage visitors to use the elevators, although the stairwell may still be used to access floors that are not under construction. Landings under construction should only be used in the case of an emergency.
Different schools on campus admitted women at different times. The university became fully coed in 1969, when women were at last admitted to the College of Arts and Sciences. The first record of female students at Georgetown is in the 1881-1882 catalog of the Medical Department, as our Medical School was then called. The catalog contains a list of students enrolled in the previous academic year. Included in that list are Annie E. Rice from Maine and Jeannette J. Sumner from Michigan. We know that, after a year, the two transferred to the Women's Medical College of Philadelphia and completed their medical education there, but the Medical Department records provide no clues as to how they came to be admitted or why they transferred. The two pioneering women subsequently returned to Washington and established the first dispensary here for poor women and children.