Which of our dormitories was the first to go coed?
The University became fully coeducational in 1969 with the admission of women into the College of Arts and Sciences. This event had a number of consequences, including the re-writing of student handbooks to eliminate references to the "weaker sex" and the need for additional housing for female students. Copley Hall was, therefore, designated as our first coeducational dorm, with women housed on its third floor and later on its fifth. According to the 1968-1969 annual report of the Dean of Women, this was "our first experiment in coeducational housing," requiring ... a considerable amount of thought and effort ... so that [Copley] does not become a feminine ghetto-or a scapegoat." Prior to 1969, women students living on campus from other already coeducational schools were housed in the female dorms, St. Mary's (opened in 1956) and Darnall (opened in 1964).