- Libraries & Spaces
We are currently installing new doors in the stairwell in Lauinger Library. During this time, visitors will not be able to use landings that are under construction, either to enter that floor or pass through en route to another. We encourage visitors to use the elevators, although the stairwell may still be used to access floors that are not under construction. Landings under construction should only be used in the case of an emergency.
The University became fully coeducational in 1969 with the admission of women into the College of Arts and Sciences. This event had a number of consequences, including the re-writing of student handbooks to eliminate references to the "weaker sex" and the need for additional housing for female students. Copley Hall was, therefore, designated as our first coeducational dorm, with women housed on its third floor and later on its fifth. According to the 1968-1969 annual report of the Dean of Women, this was "our first experiment in coeducational housing," requiring ... a considerable amount of thought and effort ... so that [Copley] does not become a feminine ghetto-or a scapegoat." Prior to 1969, women students living on campus from other already coeducational schools were housed in the female dorms, St. Mary's (opened in 1956) and Darnall (opened in 1964).