Journal of Biological Engineering
Publisher: BioMed Central
Journal of Biological Engineering, the official journal of the Institute of
Biological Engineering, is an open access, online journal that publishes
articles on all aspects of biological engineering.
Biological engineering is an emerging discipline that encompasses
engineering theory and practice connected to and derived from the science of
biology, just as mechanical engineering and electrical engineering are
rooted in physics and chemical engineering in chemistry.
Topical areas include, but are not limited to:
* synthetic biology and cellular design
* engineering of biomolecular and cellular devices
* bioproduction and bioproduct engineering
* ecological and environmental engineering
* biological engineering education and the biodesign process
Journal of Biological Engineering provides a home for the continuum from
biological information science, molecules and cells, product formation,
wastes and remediation, and educational advances in curriculum content and
pedagogy at the undergraduate and graduate-levels.
Manuscripts should explore commonalities with other fields of application by
providing some discussion of the broader context of the work and how it
connects to other areas within the field.
Journal of Biological Engineering considers the following types of article:
* Research: reports of data from original research.
* Book Review: short summaries of the strengths and weaknesses of a book.
They should evaluate its overall usefulness to the intended audience and are
usually about 400 words.
* Hypothesis: short articles presenting an untested original hypothesis
backed solely by previously published results rather than any new evidence.
They should outline significant progress in thinking that would also be
testable, and be about 1500 words.
* Letter to the Editor: they can take three forms: a substantial re-analysis
of a previously published article, or a substantial response to such a
re-analysis from the authors of the original publication, or an article that
may not cover 'standard research' but that may be relevant to readers.
* Meeting Report: a short description of a conference that the author has
attended. It is usually best for the article to be published as soon after
the meeting as possible, and should focus on the key developments presented
and discussed at the meeting. These articles are usually commissioned but
reports and suggestions may also be submitted for the editors'
* Methodology: present a new experimental method, test or procedure. The
method described may either be completely new, or may offer a better version
of an existing method. The article must describe a demonstrable advance on
what is currently available. The method needs to have been well tested and
ideally, but not necessarily, used in a way that proves its value.
* Review: comprehensive, authoritative, descriptions of any subject within
the scope of the journal. These articles are usually written by opinion
leaders that have been invited by the Editorial Board.
Manuscripts should be submitted electronically to Journal of Biological
Engineering using the online submission system.
Dr Mark Riley, Ph.D.
University of Arizona
Abstracts available online. Articles available in PDF format.
Current Issue: Volume 1:6 (10 October 2007)
Date: 8 November 2007