- Libraries & Spaces
We are currently installing new doors in the stairwell in Lauinger Library. During this time, visitors will not be able to use landings that are under construction, either to enter that floor or pass through en route to another. We encourage visitors to use the elevators, although the stairwell may still be used to access floors that are not under construction. Landings under construction should only be used in the case of an emergency.
Sir William Johnson: Major General of the British forces in America, 1756, by Charles Spooner (ca. 1720-1767).
This rare 18th-century mezzotint engraving was conserved in 2009. The engraving was formerly owned by the Riggs family, a member of which, E. Francis Riggs (1851-1910), donated the funds for the construction of Riggs Memorial Library in Healy Hall. Sir William Johnson was a distant relative of E. Francis Riggs’ mother. Conservation of the engraving included: surface cleaning; separating the engraving from its acidic backing and treating aqueously to reduce acidity; reducing staining and discoloration; mending tears and breaks with Japanese paper; filling in paper losses with matching western paper; and retouching areas of loss with Winsor and Newton watercolors.