Georgetown University Library Strategic Initiatives 2015-2020
The Library’s strategic goals and objectives occur in the context of ongoing daily work to select, acquire and preserve scholarly resources, to make them readily accessible, and to integrate them in research, teaching and learning. Because fiscal and human resources to devote to these activities are finite we must strive to improve the efficiency of our processes for routine work. This document is based on current trends and issues influencing our work in the near and longer term future. It is necessarily iterative to respond to changes in trends and best practices that will emerge.
Engage in the Scholarly Process as a Catalyst for Teaching, Learning, and Research
To engage with the work of Georgetown teachers, learners, and researchers, the library will design services and develop resources that transform their activities by:
- Strengthening connections and collaborations of subject librarians and functional specialists with faculty and researchers at every stage of the scholarly process.
- Partnering with faculty to educate students in using information and conducting research effectively, so that students succeed academically and continue lifelong learning.
- Disseminating services and resources for faculty and students to access from wherever they are and to use whenever they need them.
- Building and shaping collections in all formats, fostering consortial agreements that extend the breadth, depth, and reach of resources.
- Collaborating locally and globally to ensure permanent accessibility of the scholarly record in all formats.
- Establishing the library as a locus for scholarly communications, copyright, and author rights at Georgetown in order to expand the community’s awareness of new models that extend access to the results of research.
Foster Knowledge Creation through User-Centered Innovation and Collaboration
As an incubator for a seamless and transparent information environment encircling users and sustaining their work, the library will:
- Provide user-centered access and discovery services for scholarly resources.
- Promote and integrate the library’s resources, locally digitized collections and institutional scholarship to information networks, social media and virtual research environments.
- Provide a robust infrastructure that supports the full life cycle of digital content from creation through preservation.
- Deliver digital repository services and tools that meet the needs for diverse research and learning content and that expose scholarly productivity.
- Advance innovative technologies, provide creative tools, and employ collaborative partnerships to enhance teaching and learning, and enable Georgetown users to generate, distribute, and share knowledge.
Transform Library Spaces into a Haven for Scholarship, Research, Reflection, and Collaboration
In order to continue to provide vibrant spaces central to research, teaching, and learning, while continuing to plan for future expansion, the library will:
- Provide attractive learning environments conducive to study, collaboration, and innovation in the context of the library’s Master Space Plan.
- Develop spaces that enhance access to collections and facilitate services, while increasing the visibility of both.
- Harmonize the student library experience by providing consistent access, resources, and services across locations.
- Reflect the evolution of teaching and research needs of the University, the variety of user populations the library serves and the range of their expectations.
- Regularly assess and address the results of user feedback (e.g., space planning surveys, student advisory board suggestions).
Expand Campus and Community Engagement to Advance the Common Good
To enhance its stature and scope of engagement through both strategic and broad based partnerships and enhanced campus presence, the library will:
- Broaden the base of library friends and sustainers, both to increase the capacity and profile of the Library Associates, and to build relationships prior to future campaigns.
- Extend library engagement to include Georgetown alumni.
- Further university and library partnerships with Jesuit institutions worldwide by cultivating and advancing initiatives based upon common missions.
- Enhance collaborations with campus partners, Washington Research Library Consortium and the library community by leading and advancing initiatives based on common interests.
- Contribute to the university-wide initiatives to develop students into leaders in their communities by providing resources and opportunities for students to discover their talents, passions and academic pursuits.
Recruit, Develop and Retain a Diverse and Talented Staff who Provide Preeminent Library Services, Collections, and Spaces
The Library will recruit and retain a diverse staff with the expertise, knowledge and competency to be effective in a rapidly evolving information and educational environment. The Library will promote an organizational culture of transparency, responsiveness, and assessment that will help library staff members succeed. The Library will foster professional development as a means for staff to embrace our shifting environment with innovative thinking, educated forecasting, and evidence-based adaptations to digital evolution. In particular, the library will:
- Assess and benchmark its effectiveness in recruiting and retention, with attention to diversity, compensation, and turnover metrics, making improvements as indicated.
- Ensure that the quality of employee performance is commensurate with established library goals and objectives by developing core competencies for exempt positions, measuring growth toward achieving them, and rewarding progress accordingly.
- Design organizational systems and structures to facilitate employee effectiveness, streamlining administrative processes where possible and minimizing obstacles to accomplishing objectives.
- Seek avenues for expanding professional development support beyond conference attendance to include those identified by employees and managers as beneficial.
- Cultivate a professional ethos and an organizational culture focused on advancing student and faculty success in all aspects of their academic endeavors.