While the presence of dogs on campus likely stretches back to the early days of the College, the first one to be documented was "Rough and Ready", the guard dog of the College bakery and kitchen. "Rough", a terrier, met his demise in a showdown with another dog on campus in 1864. Following his death, Fr. Ford, S.J., wrote a lengthy tribute to "Rough" and his service to the College, a portion of which is sampled here.
Farewell! old Rough! Indeed,—indeed, thou wert a good dog! We shall not look upon thy like again! If thou didst not attain the greatness of some New-Foundlands, thou hadst a spirit might shame them all. Farewell! No more shall we behold thy tail (unlike thy mind) always biassed to one side! No more wilt thou be a conscience to small boys "wot ain't got none" of their own, by keeping them from stealing celery out of the kitchen! No more wilt thou be a terror to such as invade the vineyard in the "season of mellow fruitful- ness." No more shall thou hunt the muskrat in the brook, or fear to cross the "Big-side" play ground! No more will thy shrill bark give warning of pies departing,—and of sugar appropriated.
Unjustly was thy being cur-tailed!
Thou hast wagged thy last wag! Thou hast barked thy last bark!
Thy bright eye is dim,—for the most intelli- gent of dogs is dead! Let him—