Renting Camels, Watching Friends, and Homemade Pasta – 5 Minutes with Emily Minton
1. Name, job title, and location
Emily Minton, Program and Events Coordinator, Lauinger Library
2. What do you do – in 10 words?
I help coordinate and execute programs and events for the Library.
3. Where are you from?
I am from Baltimore, MD. I have also lived in Frederick and Montgomery County, and now I live on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC!
4. Event planning can be a crazy job, what is the most out there thing you have had to do to make an event successful?
I think the most out there thing I have ever had to do was pay for a camel using a credit card when I was working at the University of Maryland. There is an all-day celebration called Israel Fest and we were going to provide camel rides! I had to research where I could rent a camel in Maryland, put down a deposit on that camel, and then pay the rest of the camel off with a credit card when it arrived. That was for sure the weirdest thing.
5. You are a kid again and your friends want to play a board game, which one do you pull out?
My go to board game was Mousetrap, I really enjoyed putting together the game and then seeing if I could trap my friends first. It sounds messed up but it was actually kind of fun! I played Mousetrap recently with my nephews and it is SO MUCH NICER NOW. When I was a kid it was all pipe cleaners and cardboard, now it is all sleek and plastic! Kids these days.
6. What would be your number one tip to help Georgetown students enjoy their summer break?
Wear SUNSCREEN and stay hydrated! Also, enjoy your summer and cherish this time, college goes by so quickly and you don’t get summer break at your regular job!
7. What are you reading (or watching or playing or listening to right now?)
I am currently reading The Cuckoo’s Calling, which is written by JK Rowling under her penname Robert Galbraith. I love a good murder mystery and I am a huge Harry Potter fan so it is making me so happy!
I am watching The Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu and Sense 8 Netflix. They are both so good but messed up! Sense 8 is nowhere near as messed up as The Handmaid’s Tale, but regardless they are both great!
8. What song would you pick to be the theme song for a sitcom about your life?
Oh this one is really tough! I guess I would say that my theme song would be the Friends theme song. My friends and family are really important to me, they are always there for me, and on top of that, Friends is my all-time favorite show! We watch it all the time on Netflix at home. Seriously, it's on pretty much 24/7!
9. What is the best meal that you have ever had? Who made it for you/where did you have it?
The best meal I have ever had was a home cooked meal by my husband who is a professional chef. He made shrimp scampi with homemade pasta. It wasn’t even a special occasion just a random night, but man that dish stands out. One of the perks of living and being married to a chef!
10. If you didn’t currently work in libraries, what do you think you’d be doing?
If I didn’t work in libraries I think I would still find myself at a university working with college students. Working with students is something I really love doing and I think my career path would bring me back to higher education no matter what.