Woodstock Theological Library Introduction for New Faculty
The Woodstock Theological Library is one of the oldest and most notable Catholic theological libraries in the United States. Founded in 1869 at Woodstock College (outside Baltimore), it sojourned from 1969 to 1974 in New York City, to settle finally at Georgetown University. Owned by the Maryland and Northeastern provinces of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits), the library is currently housed as a separate collection in Georgetown's Lauinger Library for use by faculty, students, scholars of theology within the Washington Theological Consortium, and researchers from around the world. The Woodstock collections support research and teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels, especially maintaining the areas of biblical and systematic studies, spirituality, church history, the Jesuits, liturgy, the social aspects of Christianity, and ecumenical and interfaith studies.
The Woodstock Theological Library contains approximately 190,000 circulating volumes, 700 periodical titles, and up-to-date reference resources. Its rare book holdings of over 17,500 titles make up an outstanding collection of 15th- through 19th-century Counter-Reformational and English theological works. One caution: Given that these materials were initially gathered from multiple houses of Jesuit formation, the classification styles vary between Dewey, Library of Congress, or two other classification schemes. Thus it is recommended that patrons consult Woodstock staff for orientation within the library. For more information, please contact email@example.com.