We are currently installing new doors in the stairwell in Lauinger Library. During this time, visitors will not be able to use landings that are under construction, either to enter that floor or pass through en route to another. We encourage visitors to use the elevators, although the stairwell may still be used to access floors that are not under construction. Landings under construction should only be used in the case of an emergency.
Libraries & Spaces
You Don't Know Jack: A Small Tribute to the Mascots of Georgetown. A Selection of Materials from the University Archives
While the presence of dogs on campus likely stretches back to the early days of the College, the first one to be documented was “Rough and Ready”, the guard dog of the College bakery and kitchen. “Rough”, a terrier, met his demise in a showdown with another dog on campus in 1864. Following his death, Fr. Ford, S.J., wrote a lengthy tribute to “Rough” and his service to the College, a portion of which is sampled here.
“Hoia” was the first mascot to be informally associated with athletics on campus. A large dog of unknown breed, “Hoia” adopted the Prep boys’ football team in the 1890s and would often get in trouble for biting the halfbacks on the College football team.
Taking on the duties of mascot for what seems to be this one and only time, the small boy led the football team to a 9-0 victory over Virginia.
After spending almost two years fighting with the American Expeditionary Forces in Europe, “Stubby” came to Georgetown with J. Robert Conroy in1921. This highly decorated war dog served as Georgetown’s mascot until old age forced him to retire in 1924. After his death, “Stubby’s” remains were preserved by the Smithsonian and are still on display at the National Museum of American History.
“Butch”, a Great Dane, was originally the mascot for the men in the Army Specialized Training Program at Georgetown. He was adopted by the College after his owner, Captain Andrew D. Gruber, was sent overseas. “Butch” quickly became a hit on campus and was known to be a sociable dog who attended a wide variety of campus events.
In 1951 football at Georgetown was suspended and the tradition of a live mascot gradually came to an end. A decade later, a student run group called the Georgetown Mascot Committee went on a campaign to bring back a live mascot and raised enough money to buy an English Bulldog, which was officially adopted as the mascot of Georgetown. “Jack” arrived on campus in the fall of 1962. The students wanted to name the new dog “Hoya” but he refused to answer to anything else but “Jack.”
Caring for the new “Jack” fell solely on the Mascot Committee and the student body. This flyer was distributed by the Mascot Committee in 1963 in an attempt to raise money to feed and take care of “Jack.”
In 1977 Georgetown got a new “Jack” in the form of a student in a dog costume, a tradition which continues today. Here, Lloyd Williams poses in the “Jack” costume.