Libraries & Spaces
The Access Services Department facilitates user access to local and remotely held resources through the circulation of materials, borrowing policies, renewing books, requesting books, Course Reserves, Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) and the Consortium Loan Service (CLS), Interlibrary Loan (ILL), shelving and shelf maintenance, document delivery, group discussion rooms, carrel and locker distribution, library-wide lost and found, and patron registration.
Blommer Science Library is located on the third floor of the Reiss Science Building. Blommer provides information and research services for undergraduate and graduate programs in biology, chemistry, computer science, mathematics, and physics. Some 60,000 books and journals are housed in Blommer, and a large portion of our collection is available electronically. Older science materials are housed in Lauinger Library, Riggs Library, and an off-campus shelving facility.
Unique and outstanding art, manuscripts, rare books, and items from Georgetown's history call the Booth Family Center for Special Collections home.
The Collection, Research, and Instruction Department provides research assistance, teaches the use of research resources, collects reference and general resources, and promotes our resources and services to the University community. The Department works with faculty to build strong collections that support research, teaching, and learning at Georgetown, and to provide research assistance and teach the use of library resources for the social sciences, arts, humanities, and business.
The Copyright and Scholarly Communication Department coordinates and administers operations and services for copyright, fair use, permissions, and scholarly communication in the Library and on behalf of the Library at the University.
The Gelardin New Media Center opened in September of 2001 in newly renovated and expanded space on the first floor of Lauinger Library. The renovation, a gift from Jacques P. Gelardin (B'69), greatly increases access to equipment, software and services for computing, for multimedia development, and for audio-visual and digital materials.The Center allows researchers to convert into digital format any material collected by the Library and then use the converted material to present their research findings in many different ways.
202-687-7425 | Staff Directory
Consisting of the Office of the University Librarian, the Finance and Operations Unit, the Personnel, Planning and Assessment Unit, and the Development Office.
202-687-1601 | Staff Directory
The Library Assessment Department evaluates the quality and impact of library services and resources, demonstrates the library's alignment with Georgetown University goals, tracks progress toward achieving library goals, and participates in benchmarking initiatives among academic libraries.
202-687-7385 | Staff Directory
The Georgetown University Library Information Technology Department is responsible for planning, implementing and maintaining the automated information technologies within the library.
The School of Continuing Studies Library is located on level C2 at Georgetown's Downtown Campus in DC's Gallery Place/Chinatown neighborhood. The School of Continuing Studies Library provides information and research services to students and faculty affiliated with SCS academic degree and certificate programs. The SCS Library holds a small physical collection of items related to the respective degree programs, and a large portion of the collection is available virtually in the form of e-books and research databases Patrons can request materials housed at other Georgetown University Library locations, as well as Washington Research Library Consortium Libraries, for pickup at the SCS location.
202-687-7541 | Staff Directory
The Technical Services Department is responsible for the ordering, receiving, cataloging, binding and general processing of library materials in all formats, including electronic, acquired by Lauinger Library, the Blommer Science Library, and the Woodstock Theological Library, as well as the off-site libraries in Fiesole, Italy and Alanya, Turkey.
The Woodstock Theological Library is one of the oldest and most notable Catholic theological libraries in the United States. Founded in 1869 at Woodstock College (outside Baltimore, Maryland), it sojourned from 1969 to 1974 in New York City. With the 1974 closing of Woodstock College's Columbia University incarnation, the library moved to Georgetown University, Washington, DC, to become the research tool for the Woodstock Theological Center.