Is it true that the Jesuit Community cemetery was originally in a different location on campus?
Jesuit Cemetery before 1889
Yes. The Jesuit cemetery was laid out in its present location, north of the Old North Building, in June 1854. However, this site is not its original location. The cemetery was actually established in 1808, close to what is now the southern end of Healy Hall. The first burial, that of Thomas Kelly, S.J., occurred on August 16th, 1808. Forty-six other Jesuits were buried in the original cemetery before it was moved north to its location today. The change came because Maguire Hall was being constructed to house students of the prep division and university administrators did not want the cemetery to be adjacent to the new building.