- Libraries & Spaces
We are currently installing new doors in the stairwell in Lauinger Library. During this time, visitors will not be able to use landings that are under construction, either to enter that floor or pass through en route to another. We encourage visitors to use the elevators, although the stairwell may still be used to access floors that are not under construction. Landings under construction should only be used in the case of an emergency.
This large inscription reads: Moribus Antiquis Res Stat Loyolaea Virisque, which has been translated as: Loyola's Fortune Still May Hope To Thrive, If Men and Mold Like Those of Old Survive. Copley Hall, along with the White-Gravenor Building, has been described as a "sermon in stone" because of the Catholic and Jesuit symbolism of its external architectural details. These details include, on the south gable, the family crest of St. Ignatius Loyola (founder of the Society of Jesus), the lily of the seal of the University of Paris where he was educated, the seal of the Society of Jesus and, to the right of the main entrance, a shield bearing the coat-of-arms of John Carroll. The Hall is the namesake of Thomas Copley, S.]., who embarked for Maryland in 1637 and hoped to found a college as early as 1640.