You are here
Libraries & Spaces
What is the history of the statue of Our Lady of Fatima on Copley Lawn?
The Class of 1950 presented the University with the statue of Our Lady of Fatima as their class gift. The Class felt that a statue of Our Lady should have a prominent place on campus to increase devotion and so that May devotions, a daily event in that month for the College, could be held in a suitable place. Made of carrara marble and carved in Italy, the original statue was broken as it was loaded on board ship for its journey to the U.S., so a second, identical statue had to be made. The second statue arrived on campus in time to be blessed and dedicated at the 1950 commencement exercises. The statue is situated facing Copley Hall. Its base is inscribed with the words: “Our Lady of Fatima, P A X, Class of 1950.” The Senior Gift Committee estimated that $2000 would be needed to pay for the statue. Over $3000 was actually raised and the Committee was also able to buy trees to plant behind the statue.