- Libraries & Spaces
We are currently installing new doors in the stairwell in Lauinger Library. During this time, visitors will not be able to use landings that are under construction, either to enter that floor or pass through en route to another. We encourage visitors to use the elevators, although the stairwell may still be used to access floors that are not under construction. Landings under construction should only be used in the case of an emergency.
In 1876, the Georgetown College Boat Club (the original crew team) was founded and one of its first actions was to appoint a Committee on Colors. Georgetown did not have any colors at the time and it was felt that they were needed so supporters on shore could identify the team during races. The Committee, desiring colors to both honor Georgetown students and alumni who had fought in the Civil War and to express "the feeling of unity that exists between the Northern and Southern boys of the College," recommended the adoption of Blue and Gray. The young ladies from the neighboring Visitation Academy immediately sewed a half blue, half gray banner, bearing the inscription Ocior Euro ("Swifter than the Wind"), and presented it to the College. The banner, now lost, was prominently displayed at commencements and other school events and its colors quickly became part of our tradition.