The November 11, 1948 issue of The Hoya reports that identification cards "would be issued to each resident student in the near future." The move appears to have been undertaken mainly to ensure that only resident students used the dining halls. Unlike today's ID-making process, individual student pictures were not taken. Instead, according to The Hoya, pictures of all resident students were taken in groups of 200. Individual shots were to be enlarged from these group shots and placed on the ID cards. Four inches long, two inches wide, and encased in sealed plastic, these cards were to bear both the student's signature and that of the University Treasurer.