- Libraries & Spaces
From 1891 to 1970, the University's main library was the Riggs Memorial Library, located in the south tower of Healy Hall. The Library had been financed by E. Francis Riggs of the Washington banking firm as a memorial to his late father and to his brother who had attended Georgetown. Its construction had been supervised by architect Paul Pelz,whose firm also designed Healy Hall and the Library of Congress. Today, Riggs, one of the few remaining cast iron libraries in the country, is used as a reception space and continues to serve its original purpose of housing books.
Items from the Riggs Library can be delivered to Lauinger Library or to the Blommer Science Library.
Please complete the request form to initiate the retrieval of items from Riggs Library. Items will be held for eight days at the specified Circulation Desk once items have been retrieved.
Some items in Riggs Library may be available electronically. Check with library staff for possible electronic access.