Entering & Exiting the Library
Georgetown University students, faculty, and staff with a current Georgetown University ID (GOCard) may use the library during all hours of operation. Visitors may use the library between 8:00 am and 11:00 pm.
Users with current, valid Georgetown University ID (GOCard)
- Between 8:00 am and 11:00 pm, anyone with a current, valid Georgetown University ID (GOCard) may enter without signing in by showing the guard at the Security Desk the GOCard. Between 11:00 pm and 8:00 am they will be asked to swipe their GOCard to confirm their current status at the University
- Guests (e.g. family members, GU tour groups) accompanying anyone with a valid GOCard may also enter provided that they sign in at the Security Desk.
- Only current Georgetown University students, staff, visiting researchers, and faculty can enter the library between 10:00 pm and 8:00 am. After 11:00pm they will be asked to swipe their GOCard to confirm their current status at the University.
- Anyone in the library between 11:00 pm and 8:00 am must have, and show upon the request of a Department of Public Safety officer, a current, valid Georgetown ID (GOCard).
Visitors to the Library
- The library is open to visitors from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm, but visitors will not be permitted to enter the building after 10:00 pm. Visitors in the library between 11:00 pm and 8:00 am will be escorted out of the library.
- Visitors must show one of the following government-issued, photo IDs with a current, embedded expiration date to the Security Desk guard and sign in each time they enter the library:
U.S. federal government ID
U.S. DMV driver’s license
U.S. DMV identification
U.S. Military ID
Passport - Citizens of foreign countries MUST show a current passport to gain entry
- Visitors from the Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) and the Chesapeake Information Research Library Alliance (CIRLA) libraries may show their institutional photo IDs and sign in at the Security Desk each time they enter the library.
- High school students (9th – 12th grade), may show either a valid current school picture ID with an expiration date, or a current, government-issued, photo ID with an expiration date, and sign in at the Security Desk each time they enter the library.
- Visitors younger than 14 years who are not in high school must be accompanied by an adult.
Entering the Blommer Science Library, 3rd floor of the Reiss Science Building
- Access to the Reiss Building is restricted on weekdays after 8 pm and all day on weekends.
- Georgetown University students, faculty and staff must show their GU photo ID to gain access to the building during restricted hours.
- Non-Georgetown University individuals must obtain a building pass from the Lauinger Library Circulation Desk.
Exiting the Libraries
All persons leaving the library must pass through the electronic loss prevention system installed at the exits of the Lauinger and Blommer Science libraries. Occasionally non-library materials, such as rented videos or books from a bookstore, may activate the detection system. If the alarm sounds, you must present all materials for inspection to the security guard or a library staff member. Intentional removal of library-owned materials that are not properly checked out will result in disciplinary action.