Migrating Bibliographic Data from RefWorks to Zotero
- Download and install Zotero from www.zotero.org. Zotero lives inside your Mozilla Browser, and you must have the status bar (under VIEW) activated to see its icon in the bottom right-hand corner. Clicking on the icon will open the program.
- In your RefWorks account, go to REFERENCES > EXPORT
- Select 'All references'
- Select BIBTEX format, and click 'EXPORT'. Your references should appear in a new browser window or tab. If not, make sure that popup windows are not blocked.
- Copy and paste the text into a .txt file, and save. Choose UTF-8 as the encoding if you have any non-English references in your list.
- Back in ZOTERO, click on the little gear icon (ACTIONS) at the top > Import
- Select the text file you created earlier; your database will be imported to the default folder in ZOTERO.
... this may sound complicated, but it's quite easy, really. The only tricky thing is the creation of a text file as an intermediary step. All in all, it takes two minutes to export 800+ references from RefWorks account to Zotero — so it's much more efficient than re-tagging everything by hand.