The Booth Family Center for Special Collections is now using the Aeon request management system for all patron registration and materials requests. Learn more about Aeon or create an Aeon account at aeon.library.georgetown.edu.
60 Years of Business: The Story of Georgetown's Business School
First graduating class, Masters of Business Administration, 1983.
Established in 1789, Georgetown is the nation's oldest Catholic and Jesuit university. Georgetown was founded on the Jesuit principles of equality, respect, and cura personalis, or education of the whole person, and those same values define the school today. Through numerous centers, initiatives, and partnerships, Georgetown McDonough seeks to create a meaningful impact on business practice through both research and teaching. All academic programs prepare students to be “global ready” by providing a global perspective, woven through the undergraduate and graduate curriculum in a way that is unique to Washington, D.C. – the nexus of world business and policy – and to Georgetown University’s connections to global partner organizations and a world-wide alumni network. Founded in 1957, Georgetown McDonough is home to some 1,400 undergraduates, 1,000 MBA students, and 1,200 participants in executive degree or custom programs.
Curated by Jennifer C. Boettcher, Ann Ludtke, Ann Galloway, Teresa Mannix, and Chris Kormis
All images provide by Georgetown University Archives and all items on loan from the McDonough School of Business Communication Office and signs by Georgetown Maker Hub
“…There are also be a class of Book-keeping, for the convenience of those, who wish to learn it.” Page 1, section 6.
Edmund Walsh, S.J. (Aims of the School of Foreign Service, November 25, 1919) stated “…Having entered upon the stage of world-politics and world-commerce we assumed world-wide obligations….”
First woman to graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) from Business Division of the School of Foreign Service in 1951.
First African American to graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) from Business Division of the School of Foreign Service in 1953.
First woman faculty member in the business division of the School of Foreign Service (1955-1956), then Government Department (1956-1986).
The School of business faculty grew from 14 in 1968 to 144 in 2017.
Classes started 1981. These students joined the program before the program was accredited. The graduates were: Charalambos Adamopulous, David Cohen, Mary Curtis, William Diamond, Jr., Christopher Gartland, Scott Gray, Robert Hannum, Jr., Susan Higgins, Elizabeth Johnson, Barry Kahn, Bethany Ladimer, Laura Levine, Margaret Loomis, Lisa Manzi, Colleen McGarry, John Mueller, Margaret Nordlinger, Linda Odorisio, Marc Poland, Sandra Posillico, Cynthia Rice, Theodore Rokich, Joan Schaffer, Celeste Scheib, Adrian Sosin, Matthew Tabenken, Timothy Tassopoulos, Fran Tewkesbury, and Kenneth Zalk.
Renovation (1981-1983) of the Old North building to house the School of Business Administration. Georgetown President Timothy S. Healy, S.J., conferred an honorary degree on former President at that time.
Memory of Prof Bob Thomas: “…It was an old building, actually the ceiling of the top floor were coming down, and it was a dorm, so that would have been relatively dangerous for students to live there, and that began the renovation. I arrived at Georgetown in '82, right in the middle of the construction. We were all over the campus as faculty, but this was our first home, it was very exciting to be here. Just being here a year, and seeing this building inside, it was just wonderful, it looks the way it does today, pretty much."
Pictured L-R: Dean Robert S. Parker (1986-1997), Robert Emmett McDonough (F’49), Dr. Simone Ballandras McDonough, Dean Christopher P. Puto (1998-2002).
Acrylic block with small shovel. Courtesy of the McDonough School of Business.
Acrylic cube. Courtesy of the McDonough School of Business.
Courtesy of the McDonough School of Business.
NYSE Remote Closing Bell Ceremony and Capital Markets Panel, September 28, 2010. Video: youtu.be/VNuq_apGjPU
Some 300 students, faculty, and staff marched onto the lawn next to the school’s Rafik B. Hariri Building to form a 40 foot x 60 foot number 60 for an aerial photograph and time-lapse video. Photograph taken by Georgetown University Photographer Phil Humnicky. Video: youtu.be/Dm--M4jM954