CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: The library is closed effective Tuesday, March 24th.
Continuing services will include: access to online materials; reference, class or research consultations; and assistance with securing expanded online access to curriculum-based and/or research materials. For more information see the Georgetown Libraries COVID-19 Updates and Resources page and the Library's COVID-19 FAQ.
The library may be closed, but that has not stopped our makers from using its resources in this difficult time. The Lauinger Library Maker Hub staffers and volunteers have been making use of the 3D printers to help provide essential personal protective equipment (PPE) to healthcare workers in the area. Makers have taken 7 of the 3D printers home so that they can print face shield frames, which help essential workers protect themselves from the virus. The team’s experience with the printers, sense of community, and desire to help during this unpredictable time made the printing process possible.
As the Maker Hub joins others across campus in developing plans to support instructional continuity and reduce the spread of the coronavirus, we write to share this information regarding access to the Maker Hub space and services.
- Beginning March 15th and until further notice, the Maker Hub will be CLOSED to everyone, including volunteers, students, staff, and faculty.
- For limited access to the Maker Hub to collect projects or personal items, contact email@example.com
- For online consultations, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
- For more information about the Library's response to this pandemic, see their Updates and Resources page
Stay informed and involved by Joining our Slack! and following our #making-at-home channel.
The Maker Hub is Georgetown's only makerspace open to all students, staff and faculty. We promote innovation and hands-on learning through workshops, curricular engagement, and one-on-one project mentorship.
Most of our tools are free to use, and our community of staff and volunteers are available during open hours to teach you how to use the equipment and turn your ideas into reality.
Drop in to see what we have to offer. It's your Maker Hub!
- Welcome The big picture, what we're all about
- Getting Started Important things you'll want to know
- Ways to Learn There's lots of ways to engage with the Maker Hub
- Our Community Who we are, and how you can get involved
- Policies and Procedures How we do things around here
- Tools and Workstations Details, how-tos and important information about all our tools
- Workshops and Events What's going on
- Events Calendar All the events
- Skills Calendar Volunteer schedules cross-referenced with their skills, so you know when to come in to get help with sewing, 3D printing, or anything else.
- Equipment Reservation Calendar When equipment is reserved
- Maker Hub Chat System Talk live with people in the Maker Hub. Available during Open Hours
- Additional Resources External links to great Maker Resources
- Donate How to give back to the Maker Hub
- FAQ You've got questions? We've got answers!
Interested in Supporting the Maker Hub's Mission?
To Donate Funds:
- Go to this link
- Under "Selected Designations" Choose "Other Designation," type in "Library Technology Fund," and enter the amount in the field to the right.
- In the "Special Instructions" box, type in "Maker Hub"
- Fill out the rest of your details as appropriate.
To order items directly for the Maker Hub, please see our Amazon Wishlist here: tinyurl.com/gumh-wishlist
Interested in donating materials to support our makers? Check out our full donations page for more giving opportunities here.
Maker Hub Videos on Youtube