The Booth Family Center for Special Collections is now using the Aeon request management system for all patron registration and materials requests. Learn more about Aeon or create an Aeon account at aeon.library.georgetown.edu.

or browse databases: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z #

You are here

Detail from a page in the Farnsworth Hours; illumination attributed to Flemish artist Willem Vrelant, ca. 1465, Booth Family Center for Special Collections

You are here

The Castle of Montorroell 1310-1550

Howard W. Gunlocke Rare Book and Special Collections Room
February 20, 1987
March 16, 1987

The documents on display belong to a collection of over 275 medieval Latin and Catalan charters previously belonging to Frederick C. Scheuch (1871-1954), former Professor of Modern Languages at the University of Montana at Missoula. Scheuch acquired the manuscripts sometime before 1895 from his father, Herman Scheuch, U.S. consul in Barcelona from 1874-1892, who had obtained them as abequest from a certain Padre Louis, Father Confessor to Don Carlos. The charters remained unreported in Missoula for almost 40 years until they were shipped to Washington in 1930-31 to be examined for inclusion in the DeRicci Census. After the appearance of the Census, Scheuch retired, taking his documents with him and thus limiting access to them. Today, the collection is located in three institutions across the U.S.: the Edward Laurence Doheny Library, St. John's Seminary, Camarillo, California (6 MSS), the Division of Graphic Arts of the National Museum of American History (41 MSS), and Georgetown University (243 MSS). Georgetown acquired the bulk of the collection from Lewis O. Evans, Scheuch's grandson, in 1957.

The castle of Montorroell was located in the parish of St. Boi de Lluçanès some sixteen kilometers north of Vic. This region takes its name from the castle of Lluçà, whose political and economic influence was considerable until the fifteenth century (Montorroell, for example, was a fief of Lluçà until 1414). Today there are two farms in Catalonia associated with the name Montorroell, and it seems likely that they stand on the ruins of the old castle. From a nearby hill one is able to see the ruins of the original Sala castle a few kilometers south of Vic; on the opposite side of this hill is the region of Sora in the extinct parish of St. Genesius de Pinu, where one branch of the Sala family bought the castle of Duocastella in the mid-fifteenth century. Other local cities and towns mentioned in the documents include: Barcelona, Ripoll, Camprodón, Moya, Villafranca del Panadés, and Sabadell. Most of the participants in the transactions hail from villages and parishes within a 40-kilometer radius from the cathedral city of Vic.

1310-1343

The castle of Montorroell was a small estate located in the parish of St. Boi de Lluçanès north of Vic. From at least 1310, it was a fief of the castle of Lluçà, a large and politically dominant fortress in the region. The lord of Lluçà controlled one third of Montorroell’s jurisdiction, while the lord of Monotorroell, who was most probably only a castellan or petty nobleman who held the estate in return for a pledge of fealty, retained rights in the other two thirds portion. Lluçà, in turn, was a royal fief and an episcopal castle, and as a field of Lluçà, Montorroell was (theoretically) also under the crown and the mitre. From about 1310 until 1343, the castle was the property of the Bisaura (Besora) family. Little documentation survives from this period, however, and it is difficult to do more than provide a chronology of lordship for Montorroell.

No. 2: 3 Kals. October 1326

Upon the death of Bernardus de Bisaura, lord of the castle of Montorroell, Jacobus de Bisaura, his nephew and executor, hands over the castle and all its appurtenances to Galçerandus de Bisaura, brother of Jacobus and heir of Bernardus. The document relates the location of the castle, its feudal status, and the general terms of the donation. Jacobus promises Galçerandus that he will uphold the validity of the contract should any legal question arise over the donation.

No. 3: 5 Ids. October 1326

Jacobus de Bisaura and his wife Agnes reaffirm their previous pledge to Jacobus’ brother Galçerandus that should any dispute arise over ownership of Montorroell, they will defend his rights to the castle. Jacobus pledges property in the castrum of Bisaura (Besora) as security for his promise of defense.

No. 4: 6 Kals. December [?] 1328

Marchesia de Portella, wife of Petrus de Fonoyleto and heiress to Lluçà, claims that she is the rightful owner of Montorroell. Invoking the donation from his brother, Galçerandus de Bisaura argues that the castle is his personal property and that Marchesia’s claim is invalid. Marchesia consents to Galçerandus’ retention of the property as a fief in exchange for an outright payment of 1,650 solidi (Barcelona).

No. 5: 14 Kals. September 1329

Raymundus Vinaterii, doctor of laws, and Ferrarius de Lilleto, general bailiff of Catalonia, councilors to the king of Aragon and commissaries in matters regarding his feudal holdings, certify the validity of the donation of Montorroell by Jacobus de Bisaura to his brother Galçerandus. (The donation requires royal consent because Montorroell is a fief of the king.) The royal procurators receive 300 solidi (Barcelona) in recognition of their confirmation, and Galçerandus pledges to uphold his feudal obligations to the king.

On loan from the Division of Graphic Arts, National Museum of American History.

Nos. 6 and 7: 4 Ids. December 1332 and 6 Kals. November 1332

Poorly preserved, charter No. 6 appears to be an inventory of property holdings under the jurisdiction of Montorroell. The second document records Galçerandus de Bisaura’s receipt of 23 solidi (Barcelona) in exchange for his consent to a donation of the manse of Geraldus, which was under the jurisdiction of Montorroell.

On loan from the Division of Graphic Arts, National Museum of American History.

1343-1371

Galçerandus de Bisaura, Bernardus de Bisaura’s heir and lord of Montorroell, traded the castle for property in Milan (Spain) with Raymundus Novelli of Ripoll. As was proper, Raymundus pledged fealty to the lord of Lluçà and paid 800 solidi to him for his consent to the exchange. The castle passed through the Novelli family for a short period of time, first through Raymundus’ sister Francisca in 1349 (and apparently through one other family member who died intestate) and finally to Romia de Dachs, Francisca’s daughter, by 1355. (That Romia’s husband Bernardus also controlled the vicarial scriptorium of Ripoll suggests that he was wealthy and respected in the community.) In 1371, Romia sold Raymundus de Sala, a cloth merchant of Vic, her two thirds share of Montorroell.

Nos. 8 & 9: 6 Ids. October 1343 and Prid. Ids. November 1343

In June of 1343, Galçerandus de Bisaura exchanged the castle of Montoroell with Raymundus Novelli of Ripoll, lord of the manor of Melannus. In the first document (No. 8), Raymundus Novelli pledges fealty to Andrea de Fonoylleto, lord of Lluçà, recognizing his duties as his vassal. In the second charter, Burdus de Portella, procurator for Andrea, acknowledges the receipt of 800 solidi (Barcelona) from Raymundus, in return for his consent to the exchange.

No. 12: Prid. Nns. May 1343

In order to acquire funds for his military campaign against the king of Majorca in 1343, Peter of Aragon deputizes Bernardus Bertoni (of the king's household) and Bernardus ça Roura of Camprodón to alienate royal properties. The procurators establish in emphyteusis (i.e., a long lease) Bernardus de Dachs, husband of Romia Proheta, as head of the vicarial scriptorium of Ripoll (under the crown's jurisdiction), giving him permission to draw up and notarize contracts there.

No. 10: 4 Kals. September 1343

Raymundus Novelli of Ripoll, lord of the castle of Montorroell promises the men of that castle district (Raymundus Sicari, Petrus Ermengaudi, Petrus de Cotina, Guillermus de Sobrerocha, Arnaldus de Mas Grau, Bernardus de Muntorel, Bernadus de Solayo, and Raymundus de Solayo) that he will honor all arrangements made between them and their former lord Galçerandus de Bisaura.

No. 11: 24 April 1355

By 1355, the castle of Montorroell had passed from Raymundus Novelli's control, as indicated by this charter in which Bernardus de Dachs of Vic and his wife Romia Proheta (Raymundus' niece) act in the capacity of lords of the castle. Bernardus and Romia consent to the purchase by Elicsendis de Valle of tithe rights in the parish of St. Maria des Peyes (under the jurisdiction of Montorroell). Bernardus and Romia receive six libra (Barcelona) in exchange for their consent to the transaction.

Nos. 41 & 42: 31 December 1355

Maria, wife of the deceased Ferrarius de Manso of Vic, establishes Petrus de Clauso, cobbler of Vic, in the hospice of Cabrera (formerly of Montcada) in Vic. Note the matching indentures, used to prevent forgery.

No. 51: 16 August 1359

Connubial contract of Alamanda de Podiolo, wife of Raymundus de Sala, lord of Montorroell. Alamanda, daughter and heiress of Guillermus de Podiolo and his wife Saura of Vic, gives Raymundus de Sala two hospices in Vic and nine properties in neighboring parishes as her dowry. This extensive donation is indicative of the wealth and status of the families which the Salas frequently married into.

On loan from the Division of Graphic Arts, National Museum of American History.

1371-1414

The Salas were an urban mercantile family, and, like many wealthy merchants of the period, bought into small castles in the Catalonian countryside (Raymundus de Sala's brother's son, for example, bought the castle of Duocastella in 1437). The Salas initially encountered remarkable success in their financial undertakings. Raymundus, who had purchased Romia's two thirds share of Montorroell in 1371, managed to buy out local lands which eventually became part of Montorroell's feudal holdings. His son, Raymundus Andrea, pursued this expansionist program, purchasing many properties in local parishes, tithe rights, and in 1414 the remaining one third portion Montorroell. Evidence indicates that Raymundus Andrea sought to expand his property holdings and tighten his administrative reins. The wealth of the Salas was substantial, and they must have acquired a great deal of respect in the community.

No. 13: 9 April 1371

On April 9, 1371, Romia de Dachs, heiress to the Novelli property, sold Raymundus de Sala, a cloth merchant of Vic, her two-thirds interest in the castle of Montorroell (the lord of Lluçà retained jurisdiction within the other one-third portion). In this charter, Romia's procurator, Nicholas Loça, transfers possession of the castle to Raymundus de Sala in a ceremony in which he informs the inhabitants of their new lord and renounces all claims to the property on behalf of Romia. Following the address are oaths of fealty made by four local inhabitants and a receipt made by Nicolaus to Raymundus for an outstanding debt of 60 libra (Barcelona). This sale marks the beginning of the Sala family's association with Montorroell, which according to extant documentation lasts until the late sixteenth century.

No. 14: 9 April 1371

Romia Proheta names Nicholaus Loça as her procurator to handle all administrative affairs dealing with the sale of Montorroell to Raymundus de Sala, including the collection of all outstanding debts from Raymundus. Nicholaus is also charged with informing tenants under Montorroell's feudal authority of their new lord and with ensuring the proper transfer of the estate.

No. 49: 9 April 1371

The original bill of sale for Raymundus de Sala's purchase of two thirds portion of the castle of Montorroell from Romia de Dachs and her husband Bernardus de Dachs. The charter details the history of the castle from 1343, its feudal relationship with Lluçà and the king of Aragon, and miscellaneous terms of the sale.

Nos. 15 & 16: 10 January 1376 and 5 April 1375

In order to increase his feudal land holdings, Raymundus de Sala purchased rights to local allodial (free held) lands, forcing the owners to render yearly obligations to him. In charter No. 15, Raymundus dels Sicarts sells Raymundus de Sala the right to collect yearly obligations from him in return for an outright payment of 40 libra (Barcelona). Charter No. 16 records Berengarius de Cudina's renunciation of all claims toproperty under his control in return for a payment of 40 solidi (Barcelona) from Raymundus.

No. 18: 31 July 1387

Raymundus de Sala's daughter Violans was betrothed to Galçerandus de Villa, scribe of Vic, in 1386--shortly before Raymundus' death. After her husband's interment, Alamanda assumed control of family matters, and in this charter gives Galçerandus Violans' dowry, consisting of 5,000 solidi (Barcelona).

No. 48: 12 May 1547; from an original dated 26 September 1388

Franciscus de Monrodon, vicar and bailiff for John, King of Aragon, announces to local governing officials of Aragon a royal concession granted to the inhabitants of the parishes of Vic, St. Eugenia de Berga, and St. Maria de Vilalleonibus. The concession most likely concerns the revitalization of Vic following the plague visitation there in the fourteenth century.

No. 17: 15 December 1391

Raymundus de Sala died in 1386, leaving his wife Alamanda and three minor children (Bernardus Guillermus, Raymundus Andrea, and Elienor) as his heirs. In 1391 Alamanda petitioned the local court for permission to turn over to Raymundus Andrea his inheritance—including the lordship of Montorroell. According to the proceedings of the trial, Raymundus Andrea refused to accept the family property and requested a new guardian, Petrus de Serradeboix.

No. 19: 29 October 1395

Until one of Raymundus de Sala's male heirs could assume the lordship of Montorroell, the lord of Lluçà, Raymundus de Pagaria, took control of the castle's administration. In this charter Raymundus confers upon Guillermus de Casadurana ad deed to one tract (pecia) land and the manse of Casaponça, both of which are held from the lord of Montorroell.

Nos. 20 & 21: 5 May 1401 and 10 September 1402

By the turn of the fifteenth century, Raymundus Andrea de Sala had assumed the lordship of Montorroell. In these two charters, Raymundus deç Sicarts and Petrus Cudina recognize that they, their descendants, and their property belong to Raymundus Andrea, lord of the castle.

No. 54: 8 May 1414

The original bill of sale for Raymundus Andrea de Sala's purchase of the remaining one third portion of Montorroell from the lord of Lluçà. The document details the terms of the contract and the castle's feudal relationship with the king. With this transaction, the Salas acquired complete autonomy in Montorroell, except when royal claims were invoked.

No. 22: 26 June 1414; from a text dating 8 Kals. November 1180

Among Raymundus Andrea de Sala's most important accomplishments during his tenure as lord of Montorroell was his purchase in 1414 of the remaining one third portion of the castle from the lord of Lluçà. The purchase allowed the Sala family complete autonomy over Montorroell, except when royal or episcopal jurisdiction was invoked. This charter dating from 1180 is especially informative. It is a copy of the settlement of a dispute between the king of Aragon and Petrus de Luçano over title to Lluçà (the king was eventually awarded the castle). The copy was undoubtedly made for Raymundus Andrea de Sala in 1414 so that he might havea written record of the king of Aragon's claims to Lluçà and Montorroell.

On loan from the Division of Graphic Arts, National Museum of American History.

1420-1437

The name of Raymundus Andrea de Sala figures prominently in the records. During his lordship of Montorroell, from about 1400 to 1437,  he expanded his land holdings considerably and gained a great deal of wealth and, undoubtedly, political power.  An increased number of documents, including oaths of fealty and land inventories, testify to his administrative efforts. Upon his death in 1437, Montorroell passed to his older son Salvator Sala. (Raymundus Andrea also had a younger son Petrus, who received other properties instead of Montorroell.) Salvator continued his father's expansionist program, buying more lands in the area. Unfortunately, the documentation decreases from the mid-fifteenth century, and it becomes more difficult to judge the Sala family's position in the society at that time. It seems likely, however, that they still enjoyed local economic and political advantages.

No. 3: 1 May 1420

A large number of charters from the period of Raymundus Andrea de Sala's lordship, including oaths of fealty and land inventories, testify to his attempts at administrative consolidation. Here Costancia, wife of Guillermus Dornolius, acknowledges that she holds the estate of Bach de Grisay from Raymundus Andrea de Sala and promises to render all her feudal obligations.

No. 50: 8 May 1433

Raymundus Andrea de Sala, father of Salvator ca Sala, lord of Montorroell from 1437 to 1478, makes nuptial donations consisting of 1,500 golden Aragonese florins and immovables to his son at the time of his marriage to Clara, daughter of Anthonius de Vineis. The extensive gift is an indication of the Sala family's wealth in the early fifteenth century.

On loan from the Division of Graphic Arts, National Museum of American History

No. 28: 8 May 1433

Johanna, daughter of Johannes ca Noguera and mother of Salvator Sala, makes (post-obit) nuptial donations consisting of her dowry to her son at the time of his marriage to Clara, daughter of Anthonius de Vineis and his wife Clara.

No. 26: 8 May 1433

Clara, wife of the deceased Anthonius Vineis, gives Salvator Sala, son of Raymundus Andrea de Sala, draper of Vic, her daughter Clara de Vineis in matrimony and arranges her dowry and inheritance. Salvator acknowledges the validity of the contract.

 

No. 32: 11 May 1435

Bartholomeus Noguera, mother of Johanna Sala and grandfather of Petrus Sala, son of Raymundus Andrea de Sala, makes nuptial donations to Petrus, engaged to Constancia, daughtre of Franciscus de Cuspineda, draper of Vic, and his wife Marriana. (Petrus Sala is the younger brother of Salvator Sala, lord of the castle of Montorroell.

No. 27: 12 June 1437

Last will and testament of Raymundus Andrea de Sala. In 1437 Raymundus Andrea de Sala died, leaving his estate to his family. His wife Johanna and his younger son Petrus received the manse of Poal and other properties, whereas his principal heir Salvator received the castle of Montorroel and all its appurtenances. The transaction at the bottom of the parchment is a receipt for 1,000 solidi (Barcelona) made to Salvator Sala by the chapter of canons at the cathedral of Vic for obits (perpetual masses) to be said for the deceased.

No. 25: 24 May 1441

In December 1437 Raymundus Andrea de Sala purchased tithe rights in the parishes of St. Petrus de Roda and St. Michael dela Guardia from Salvator de Molendino for 6,000 solidi (Barcelona). In this charter, Guillermus Mathei recognizes the receipt of 30 golden Aragonese florins from the purchase price fro mPetrus Sala. (Salvator de Molendino had owed Guillermus the money from a previous transaction.) Raymundus Andrea's purchase of these tithe rights is another way in which he extended his influence in the region.

No. 47: 16 September 1453

Royal Concession

Salvator Godeyel, scribe of Vic, certifies that Jacobus March, tailor, Johannes Puig and Johannes Cererols, washers, presented him and members of the city council of Vic a public instrument containing a concession made by the queen. The text of the proclamation, in Catalan, is included.

1454-1500

By the late fifteenth century, documentation on the Sala family and Montorroell becomes scarce, and only a few transactions survive which detail Salvator Sala's actions as lord of Montorroell: a receipt of tithes and a few purchases. Petrus, his younger brother, was married in 1435, and it appears that his children were active in the Church, holding benefices in parish churches. Of particular interest is the fact that a certain Petrus Sala (probably Petrus's son) became prior of the monastery of St. Llorenç del Munt, an important monastic center, a fact which suggests that the family's status was still high. Of importance, too, is the fact that the Salas tended to marry into wealthy families, who often controlled other castles in the area. In this way, they further extended their influence.

No. 29: 18 February 1454

Bernardus de Condamina, cleric of the cathedral of Vic, acknowledges that he possesses tithes in the parish of Beata Maria des Peyes which are due to Salvator de Sala, lord of the castle of Montorroell. Bernardus also pledges fealty to Salvator.

No. 35: 27 February 1458

Anthonius Tallanderii (lord Borra), knight of Barcelona, recognizes that his wife Aldoncia remitted to him the sum of 210 libra (Barcelona) for which price he had sold her dwellings in Barcelona. A part of the payment is returned to Aldoncia as partial payment of a marriage portion of 10,000 solidi (Barcelona). Anthonius' daughter, Anthonia, was the wife of Johannes Sala, lord of Montorroell. The extensive marriage portion is an indication of the wealth and status of the families which the Salas were marrying into during this period.

No. 30: 13 July 1459

As lord of Montorroell, Salvator Sala continued his father's active expansionist program, purchasing a large number of properties in nearby parishes. In this charter, Salvator accepts a large estate in the now extinct parish of St. Genesius de Pinu which he had bought from the city councilors of Vic. Income on the property had been bequeathed to the poor of that city by Jacobus de Cuspineda, merchant.

No. 31: 28 March 1465

Margarita de Dorrius, nun of the convent of Beata Maria de Pedralbes in Barcelona, acting with the consent of Violans de Sentillis, abbess of the convent, names Salvator Sala as her procurator to collect outstanding obligations of 7 libra and 10 solidi (Barcelona) from Bernardus de Dorrius of Vic. Margarita also outlines ancillary rights of Salvator.

On loan from the Division of Graphic Arts, National Museum of American History.

No. 36: 24 May 1492

Anthonia, wife of Johannes Sala of Vic, lord of Montorroell, names her husband as her procurator to handle administrative affairs dealing with property under her control. Anthonia outlines Johannes' specific responsibilities and rights.

On loan from the Division of Graphic Arts, National Museum of American History.

No. 34: 13 Kals. December 1496

Honofrius de Sancto Martino, canon of the cathedral of Vic and ad hoc judge, carries out papal orders concerning the benefices of the parish churches of St. Petrus de Roda and St. Michael de la Guardia, assigned to Petrus Sala. Petrus resigns the benefices and they are reassigned to Jacobus Sala, nephew of Petrus. (It seems unlikely that this Petrus Sala is the same person as Salvator's brother; it is probably his nephew, Petrus' son.)

No. 33: 18 September 1501

Johannes Valentini dela Campana, notary public of Vic, certifies that Gaspar de Rovira, priest and vicar of the monastery of St. Llorenc del Munt, enacted the papal appointment of Petrus de Sala to the priorate of St. Llorenç. Throughout the late middle ages, St. Llorenç del Munt was an important monastic center, and despite the fact that its influence had waned by the sixteenth century, Petrus de Sala's position as prior suggests that he must have commanded some respect and authority in the area.

1525-1585

The last years of the sixteenth century saw a radical shift in the Sala family's economic security. For some unknown reason—perhaps due to a poor economic climate in the regionfamily members, notably Onofrius Josephus Sala, son of Petrus Onofrius Sala, began selling off (frequently with the right to redeem) properties which the family had owned for almost two hundred years. These properties included tithe rights in the parishes of St. Petrus de Roda and St. Michael dela Guardia, the manse of Poal (which Raymundus Andrea de Sala had bought in 1400), one half of the castellany of Torrello, which was acquired in 1545, and eventually, the castle of Montorroell itself. A lack of documentation after this time indicates that the Sala family may never have redeemed these properties and encountered economic ruin. Within a span of some two hundred years, then, they had seen prosperity and decline.

No. 37: 21 April 1525

Carolus de Cardona, abbot of the monastery of Santa Maria de l'Estany, consents to Benedictus Sala's purchase from Margaritta de Casanones of the right to redeem the manse of Çanoguera, pledged by Margaritta's brother Petrus Noguera to secure a loan. (The property is held from the monastery, which must approve the sale.) The purchase is one of the few transactions the Salas make during the sixteenth century, a time when their economic security was, for unknown reasons, in jeopardy.

No. 38: 7 April 1540

Benedictus Sala of Vic gives his son Petrus Honofrius Sala the castle of Montorroell and all its appurtenances. The document is important because it details the history of montorroell's lordship from 1371 when the Sala family first acquired the castle.

No. 1: 17 March 1551

Petrus Honofrius Sala, lord of Montorroell from 1540, and Cosmas Amiguet, doctor of Barcelona, quarrel over tithe rights in the parish of San Martí del Bas (north of Vic). To justify his claims to the tithes, Petrus presents a number of written instruments showing that previous lords of Montorroell were indeed due these church revenues. Didacus Sarmiento, apostolic inquisitor serving as an ad hoc judge, describes many of the documents that Petrus serves, including a convinentia feudali (feudal agreement) between Montorroell and Lluçà;, a neighboring castle of which Montorroell was a fief. In this convinentia, which dates from 1310, Bernardus de Bisaura is referred to as the lord of Montorroell. The reference to the castle is one of the earliest documented.

No. 52: 11 August 1561

Jaume Bosch y de Fontarnau, merchant of Vic, makes his last will and testament. Jaume was the father-in-law of Pere Onofre de Sala, lord of the castle of Montorroell, who is named as executor in the testament.

On loan from the Division of Graphic Arts, National Museum of American History

No. 39: 24 [?] July 1564

Anna Sala, widow of Pere Honofre Sala of Vic, lord of the castle of Montorroell, and daughter of Jaume Bosch, doctor of law of Vic, makes her last will and testament. The document is in Catalan.

No. 43: 4 November 1583

Joannes Dominguez, cleric, presents Don Carolus, subprior of the monastery of St. Anastasius at Tres Fontes outside Rome, with a petition addressed to Pope Gregory XIII for permission to remove certain holy relics from the monastery to be brought back to Joannes' native parish to be venerated. The original seal container is attached.

On loan from the Division of Graphic Arts, National Museum of American History.

No. 53: 14 August 1585

Onofrius Josephus Sala, son of Petrus Onofrius Sala and lord of Montorroell, pledges to the chapter of canons at the cathedral of Vic for a payment of 300 libra (Barcelona): (1) all censual obligations collected from properties under the control of Montorroell, and (2) censual obligations collected from Elizabeth de Callar. With this transaction, the castle of Montorroell, probably never redeemed, passed from the Salas' hands.

No. 40: 29 July 1603

Honofrius Josephus Sala, son of Petrus Honofrius Sala, and his sons Franciscus and Joannes Baptista sell (with the option of redeeming) to Sigismundus Amalrich, businessman, one half the castellany (castle district) of Torrello. The Salas had acquired rights in Torrello in 1545. Despite this significant acquisition, however, the Salas had come upon hard times in the late sixteenth century and, as this document indicates, were forced to sell many properties which had been in the family for some time.

No. 44: 10 April 1610

Pope Urban writes to the bishop of Vic regarding the petition of Franciscus Sala and Theresa Grael of Vic, who, desiring to marry, must have special dispensation to do so because they are within the third and fourth degrees of consanguinity. The dispensation is granted, and the bishop is warned not to accept any gifts or money for it.

No. 45: Prid Nns. December 1645

PAPAL MISSIVE

Pope Innocent writes to Julianus Amadeus and Antonius Sala, deputies of the bishop of Vic, requesting that they assign the benefice of the parish church of St. Martinus Ça Scorts [?] to Sigismundus Sauleda, priest.

Scheuch Collection

In 1931, Professor Frederick C. Scheuch shipped his collection of manuscripts to the Library of Congress so that a description of them could be included in the DeRicci Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada. From the Library of Congress archives are displayed copies of correspondence regarding the collection's history in the United States.

Els Castells Catalans

(Barcelona: R. Dalmau, 1967).

This comprehensive study of Catalonian castles mentions Montorroell in two footnotes, a fact which suggests that the castle's history has not been documented. It seems likely, then, that the collection on display here is the principal source.

The Diocese of Vic

Paul F. Freedman (Rutgers University Press, 1983). The most recent and thorough history of the diocese of Vic. The castle of Montorroell was located in the parish of St. Boi de Llucanes, Vic diocese.