or browse databases: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z #

You are here

Detail from a page in the Farnsworth Hours; illumination attributed to Flemish artist Willem Vrelant, ca. 1465, Booth Family Center for Special Collections

You are here

"Come With Thy Panoplied Array, Maryland!" 1634-1984

Howard W. Gunlocke Rare Book and Special Collections Room
May 1, 1984
June 29, 1984

Archives and Manuscripts at Georgetown University (1984)

Our interest in Maryland dates from the earliest days of the school; after all, Carroll's academy at Georgetown predates the District of Columbia and is thus, at least in its origins, a Maryland institution. Georgetown has been active in this field for a very long time. The University Archives is mentioned in the Board of Directors Minutes as early as 1816, and records such as the Treasurer's ledgers were saved from the very beginning. In addition to the official records of the University, many papers of more general historical interest found their way into the archives. These account for many of the smaller collections listed below. Manuscripts collecting began in earnest around the turn of this century, thanks to a small endowment from Dr. James Ethelbert Morgan which established the Morgan Maryland Colonial History library. Today, this endowment supports book purchases in Maryland history. The rare book collections, which number approximately 65,000 volumes, include most of the major works on Maryland history.

In the last ten years, the Special Collections Division has undertaken the management of two major collections formed elsewhere: the archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus, and the archives of the former Jesuit theologate at Woodstock, Maryland. The Province Archives documents the activities of the Jesuits in British North America from the founding of Maryland in 1634 to the present, though the bulk of the collection covers only the period from 1785-1868, and generally covers only Maryland and southeastern Pennsylvania. Even so, it is a remarkable assemblage of documents. The Woodstock College Archives is also a more. important source than its title would indicate, since it includes manuscripts and photographic collections as well as the archives of Woodstock College. Among the collections attached to the Woodstock Archives are the papers of Rev. John Courtney Murray, S.J., and Rev, John LaFarge, S.J., and the Rev. John Brosnan, S.J., photographic collection.

The Special Collections Division of Lauinger Library will continue to collect manuscripts and books in a variety of fields, including Maryland history. Our total holdings now number over 600 collections; together with the University Archives, these fill approximately 7000 linear feet of shelving.

I. The Establishment of the Colony

Manuale sacerdotum

Douai: L. Kellam, 1610. (Georgetown University Library)

On five pages bound at the front are drafts of prayers, the commandments,and the precepts of the Church written by Rev. Andrew White, S.J., ca.1640 in English, Latin, and Conoy (Piscataway). These fragments are all that is known to survive of extensive works by Fr. White in the language of the Piscataways.

General Collections 79VA3

Societas Jesu apostolorum imitatrix

Mathias Tanner.
Prague: Typis Universitatis Carolo-Ferdinandae, 1694. (Georgetown University Library).

The illustration displayed shows Fr. Andrew White baptizing the Indians.

General LC Folios BX3755.T28 1694

Grant of land to William Britta, St. Mary's City, July 10, 1640

Calvert, Caecilius, second Lord Baltimore.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Silver gilt ostensorium

Maryland (?) ca. 1700.

The base of this otherwise unmarked piece is engraved "Oro pro Georgio Tompsono." Thompson (fl.1658-1663) was the first Clerk of Court in Charles County, Maryland, and the ostensorium was probably executed at his expense or at that of one of his near descendants.

University Art Collection 1111.239.1

Charter of Maryland

An as yet untraced issue of the Charter, docketed in the hand of Rev. William Hunter, S.J., who served in Maryland from 1692 to 1723. A pleasing conjecture is that this charter was printed by Thomas Reading in Annapolis about 1707 in combination with the edition of the Maryland laws he printed at that time.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Rubbing from a Baltimore Shilling

Among the unusual powers granted the Calverts by the Royal charter was the right to mint currency. The original of this coin was stolen from the University collection in the l940's.

Rev. John Brosnan, S. J. with Cannon, Georgetown University

Silver print, ca. 1935.

The two cannon which flank the central entrance to the Healy building were recovered from the Potomac near St. Mary's City in 1822. They date from the earliest days of the colony; perhaps even from the small store of armaments shipped aboard the Ark and the Dove.

Rev. John Brosnan, S.J. Photographic Collection, Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Deed to "Brambly"

Gerard, Thomas. Deed of "Brambly" to Justinian Gerard, May 27, 1663.

The deed to "Brambly," a tract of 500 acres in St. Clement's Manor, including a detailed inventory of farm equipment and household goods; later part of the estate of the Plowdens, an early Catholic Maryland family.

Plowden Family Papers

Missale Romanum

Lyons, 1668

Signed on the title page by Rev. James Haddock, one of a very few Franciscans who worked in Maryland towards the end of the 17th century. In addition Haddock specifies the place -Maryland- and the date - Morch 27, 1703.

General Collections 80B11

Altar Stone (fragment)

17th century?

This stone is said to date from the earliest days of the Maryland mission.

Woodstock College Archives

Rent Roll, St. Mary's County

ca. 1641-1688

This rent roll is one of the few items in the collection dating from the
17th century.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

The Bell of 1682

The provenance of this bell is far from clear. It was brought to Georgetown from St. lnigoes in 1889; at that time, it was thought to hove been used at the chapel in St, Mary's City. This seems unlikely. Since there is a record of a decision to erect a public bell in St. Mary's in the same year that this bell was cast, it seems much more likely that this is the bell used to summon the citizenry to the State House in St. Mary's City.

Georgetown University Collection

II. Maryland, 1700-1820

Tabernacle and Altar Card

(Maryland?) 18th century

Gift of Charles C. Lancaster and Melinda Jenkins Lancaster, from the
Lancaster estate chapel, Rock Point, Charles County, Maryland.

University Art Collection 1111.246.2

Pseaumes de David

Paris, 1678.

Signed and dated (1694) by John Dyne, S.J., a Jesuit brother who worked in Maryland at the time and of whose books a number have survived.

Georgetown University Library

Rich Neck Manor, Talbot County, Maryland

Jon K. Reynolds, photographer. Ektachrome print, 1976.

This structure at Rich Neck Manor, Talbot County, puzzles architectural authorities. The style is of the 17th century, and it appears to be older than the adjoining structures. The style suggests a chapel. If it is Roman Catholic, it likely dates from before 1652, and thus would be the oldest surviving Catholic chapel in the original colonies.

Georgetown University Library

Tilghman Family Day-Book

1779-1784

A significant percentage of the papers surviving from the colonial era involve the day-to-day work of business.

Tilghman Family Papers

Surveyor's Exercise Book

Cuthbert Fenwick, ca. 1725

Cuthberg Fenwick was a surveyor in St. Mary's County and a descendant of one of the original settlers.

Fenwick Family Papers, Historical Manuscripts Collection

In Defense of the Roman Catholics of Maryland

Charles Carroll. A list of papers sent to England in defense of the Roman Catholics of Maryland, 1756.

Charles Carroll, the father of the Signer, led the Catholic effort to block discriminatory legislation in the 1750's. We find Carroll's comments in this list: "Oh, the sagacious, merry and witty Govr! who ordered his clerk to write to me...to oppose a law which passed the House the day (he) wrote his letter."

Carroll Family Collection

To the King's Most Excellent Majesty

The Continental Congress, October, 1774

Copy of the petition of the American Congress to the King, docketed by Charles Carroll of Annapolis.

Carroll Family Collection

Robert Fergusson to Alexander Hamilton of Maryland

Portobacco, April 6, 1788

"For Godsake finished or unfinished bring them here this night."

The Fergusson papers provide graphic examples of the difficulty in collecting debts after the Revolution.

Robert Fergusson Papers 1

The Star-Spangled Banner

Francis Scott Key.

Manuscript written out in Washington, August 29, 1842, for James Espy.

Georgetown University Library

Elizabeth Seton to Rev. John Hickey

Baltimore (1819?)

The letter expresses the somewhat mystical nature of Mother Seton's faith.

John G. Shea Papers

Life of Mrs. Eliza A. Seton

Charles I. White. Baltimore: John Murphy & Co., 1856

Mother Seton, who founded the Sisters of Charity in Emmitsburg, was the first native-born American to be canonized.

Georgetown University Library

St. Joseph's Academy near Emmitsburg, Maryland

Chromolithograph by A. Hoen and Co., Baltimore, after a painting by L. Enke. ca. 1885.

The Academy was founded by Mother Seton.

Georgetown University Library

Carroll Family Tenant Register

Carrollton, Maryland, ca. 1830

The register provides a detailed inventory of the tenant holdings on the estate of Charles Carroll of Carrollton.

Carroll Family Collection

III. The Society of Jesus in Maryland: The Eighteenth Century

"Liberty and Property"

Rev. Peter Attwood, S. J. "Liberty and property, or the beauty of Maryland displayed, being a brief and candid inquiry into her charter, fundamental laws and constitution. By a lover of his country." Maryland, ca. 1717-1720.

Internal evidence suggests this essay was drafted between 1717 and 1720, when the Calverts resumed active control of the colony. Foreshadowing the Revolutionary literature of the 1770's, Attwood excoriate the Royal governors as "strangers to our Constitution" who "came to raise their own fortunes, not to advance ours."

John G. Shea Collection

Pewter Chalice and Paten

(Maryland?) ca. 1700

This chalice and paten have long been associated with the early Maryland mission; the chalice is unusual in not being made of the customary silver and gilt. In this case, the juse of base metal seems to have been occasioned by the lack of more suitable vessels in the mission. the makers mark "RI" has not been traced in England.

Georgetown University Collection

Ledger, St. Thomas Manor

1741-1743

"Our people here are poor, & as they must digg all out of the earth, they count every farthing."

This ledger is one of the many surviving account books which document the Jesuits' missionary activities in the colony. Its hand-blocked wall-paper cover was probably produced in Maryland.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

"Missiones in Marylandia"

Rev. George Hunter, S.J., July 3, 1765

Description of the Jesuit plantations in Maryland in the hand of the REv. George Hunter, S.J., Superior of the Maryland mission. The Society's holdings consisted of approximately 10,777 acres, attended to by 271 slaves and 39 tenants.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

St. Francis Xavier Church, Newtown Manor

Anon. Ektachorme print, ca. 1970

Woodstock College Archives

Ledger and Day-book, Bohemia Manor

1735-1761

The Jesuits established their second Maryland school (the first ran briefly at Newtown in 1677) at Bohemia Manor on the Eastern Shore at the head of the Chesapeake Bay. John Carroll entered in 1745 to prepare for the Jesuit College at Sst. Omer in Flanders. The opening displayed shows the account of Mr. Wayt, the schoolmaster.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Rev. George Hunter, S.J. Day-Book

1763-1768

Female education was not totally neglected in Maryland. George Hunter's Day-book for St. Thomas Manor lists accounts with Margaret and Clare Braux, Acadian seamstresses, who conducted school in Charles County in the 1760s. One seems to hove conducted school on top of the hill (School de la Hauteville) and the other near the river (School de la Basseville).

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Rev. John Boone, S.J., Sermon Manuscript

ca. 1765

" ... to teach miss to dance & sing gracefully, to walk gentelly, to move with an air, to turn out her feet, to hold her head, to look sprightly, to know how to open a ball, how to behave at a ball or a Barbaque, Places the Church absolutely forbids, 0 - How many hours are consum'd in this by parents..."

This otherwise dreary sermon is marked by the earliest known usage of the term "Barbaque". The Georgetown University collections include over four hundred manuscript sermons delivered in Maryland and Pennsylvania during the 18th century.

Colonial Sermon Collection

Notice of the Suppression

Richard Challoner, Vicar Apostolic of London and Bishop of Debra, to the Jesuits of the Maryland Mission, October 6, 1773.

The message conveying notice of the suppression ordered by Clement XIV: "To obey the orders I have rec'd from above, I notify to you by this the Breve of the total dissolution of the Society of Jesus..."

Also displayed: German caricature of the period; a translation of the bull of suppression (Dominus ac redemptor) printed in 1773; and a devotional seal of the period.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Baptismal Register

Rev. James Walton, S.J. Baptismal register. 1766-1794

One of the few surviving 18th-century sacramental registers, this volume records baptisms performed by Rev. James Walton, S. J. in Frederick and St. Mary's Counties.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Rev. John Brosnan, S. J.

St. Thomas Manor, Charles County, Maryland. Silver print, ca. 1920.

Brosnan Photographic Collection

Rider's British Merlin

Cardanus Rider. Rider's (1734) British Merlin. London, 1734.

Rev. Arnold Livers, S. J., used the pages of this almanac as a note book, ca. 1739-1765. The opening displayed shows lists of slaves owned by the Society.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Indenture

Patrick Barnes. Indenture to Rev. Adam Marshall, S.J., August 15, 1797.

The indenture was a step in the emancipation process; however, few Jesuit slaves were given their freedom.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

DeBarth Letter, 1820

Rev. Lewis DeBarth, S.J. to Rev. Adam Marshall, S.J., Philadelphia, September 26, 1820.

The Jesuit farms, intended to support the Province's ministerial and education endeavors, were poorly managed in the 19th century. In this letter, Fr. DeBarth complained that "the devil, in order to hinder the children of Ignatius to become good missionaries, would try to make them bad farmers."

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Mobberly Memoirs

Brother Joseph Mobberly, S. J. Memoirs, ca. 1825

Map of the Jesuit estate at St. Inigoes, ca. 1814, drawn by Brother Mobberly. His diary also includes interesting accounts of British raids during the War of 1812.

Brother Joseph Mobberly, S.J. Papers

IV. The Jesuits in Maryland, 1800-Present

Molyneux Appointment

John Carroll. Appointment of Rev. Robert Molyneux as Superior of the American Jesuits, June 27, 1805.

Molyneux's appointment antedates by nearly two months the formal taking of vows by Frs. Molyneux, Sewall, and Neale, who became the first Americans to rejoin the Society of Jesus, August 18, 1805.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Read Oration

William G. Read. Oration delivered at the first commemoration of the landing of the Pilgrims of Maryland, celebrated May 10, 1842, under the auspices of the
Philodemic Society of Georgetown College. Baltimore: John Murphy, 1842.

Georgetown University Archives

Pocket Badge

Pocket badge from the second celebration of the landing, Moy 15, 1849.

The celebration of the landing in Maryland began in the 19th century. We surmise that meteorological prudence dictated the choice of May over March as the time for the celebration.

Georgetown University Archives

McElroy Journal

Rev. John McElroy, S.J. Journal, 1845-1846.

John McElroy lived a long and remarkable life. His early career was spent at Georgetown College, where he served as an all-purpose administrator. He was then sent
to Frederick, where he brought five members of the Sisters of Charity from Emmitsburg to open "St. John's Female Benevolent and Frederick Free School." Interestingly, he was able to win financial support from the Maryland state legislature. In 1828 he established St. John's College in Frederick, which for a time rivaled Georgetown. He also built the imposing new church shown on Master Tormey's testimonial. It was at this time that the Jesuit novitiate was moved to Frederick. In 1846, McElroy left Frederick to serve as a military chaplain in the Mexican War. After the war, he was sent to Boston, where he established several new churches and was the prime mover in the establishment of Boston College. He ended his career at Georgetown.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

McElroy Carte de Visite

Nicholas Williams. Rev. John McElroy, S.J. Albumen carte de visite portrait, ca. 1865.

Woodstock College Archives

Decade of the Rosary

Decade of the rosary, belonging to Rev. Antonio Rey, S.J.

Frs. McElroy and Rey were the first Roman Catholic chaplains in the U.S.Army. They served in the Mexican War, where Rey was murdered by bandits.

Woodstock College Archives

Sun-Spots

Rev. Benedict Sestini, S.J. Drawings of sun-spots taken during September and October, 1850. Bound with lithographic copies of each published by Matthew F. Maury.

Georgetown University Archives

Sestini Carte de Visite

Henry Ulke, Albumen carte de visite of Rev. Benedict Sestini, S.J., Washington, 1865.

Woodstock College Collection

Portable Sundial

Portable sundial mode by Thomas Wright, of Oxford, ca. 1725.

The Jesuit scientific tradition emphasized astronomical observations. Important research in this field was conducted at Georgetown College and at Woodstock beginning in the 1840's. This work received added impetus with the arrival of the Italian refugee Jesuits Frs. Sestini and Secchi after the revolutions of 1848.

Georgetown University Archives

Record of Sacraments

Rev. Francis McAtee, S.J. Record of sacraments administered during or after the late engagement. Bakerville, October 10, 1862.

Fr. McAtee was one of a number of Jesuits who served as chaplains during the Civil War.

McAtee Papers

Quarters of the Sixty-ninth (Irish) Regiment

Quarters of the Sixty-ninth (Irish) Regiment New York State Militia, at Georgetown College, D.C. Harper's Weekly, 1862.

Georgetown College was occupied by Union troops on two occasions.

Georgetown University Archives

The Woodstock College Library

Anon. Albumen photograph of the Woodstock College Library, Woodstock, Maryland, ca. 1890. Note the ceiling which is a map of the heavens pointed by Fr.
Sestini.

Woodstock College Archives

Woodstock College Silver Prints and Deed

Anon. Woodstock College, Maryland. Silver prints, co. 1880 & 1920; and Deed, 1866.

After the Civil War, the Society of Jesus established their theologate (a senior seminary) in rural Maryland southwest of Baltimore. The college provided the final theological training for the Maryland Jesuits until it was moved to New York City in 1970. It has since closed. The Woodstock Theological Center and Library are now located at Georgetown University.

Woodstock College Archives

St. John's Female Boarding School Prospectus

Prospectus, St. John's Female Boarding School. Frederick, Md., ca. 1840.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

St. John's College Testimonial

St. John's College, Frederick, Testimonial of approbation awarded Dominick Tormey, August 1, 1843.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

McElroy Journal, Vol. 6

Rev. John McElroy, S.J. Journal, Vol. 6, 1834-1836.

The opening displayed notes the first mass in the new church pictured on Master Tormey's testimonial.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

St. John's Lending Library

Anon. St. John's lending Library, Frederick, Md. Silver print, ca. 1900

Woodstock College Archives

St. Nicholas Church

Anon. St. Nicholas Church, St. Mary's County, Maryland. Albumen print, ca. 1890.

Racial segregotion was practiced in the Catholic parishes of Southern Maryland until the 1950's. By the late nineteenth century, black congregations provided effective social as well as religious units.

The Cardinal Gibbons Institute opened in Ridge, Maryland, in 1924 as a "training center in the skills and arts of living" for the rural community. The first director of the
Institute was Victor H. Daniel, a pupil of Dr. Booker T. Washington at Tuskegee. Several Jesuits, including Horace McKenna and John LaFarge, were active in the efforts to improve agricultural practices in Southern Maryland.

Woodstock College Archives

The Catholic Layman and the Negro

(Rev. John LaFarge, S.J.?) The Catholic Layman and the Negro. Ridge, Maryland. 1938?

Rev. John LaF arge, S.J., Papers

Farmers' Conference

Farmers' Conference, February 22 at the Cardinal Gibbons Institute, Ridge, Maryland.

Rev. John LaFarge, S.J., Papers

The Cardinal Gibbons Institute

(Rev. Horace McKenna, S.J.?) The Cardinal Gibbons Institute. Silver prints, ca. 1938.

Rev. Horace McKenna, S.J. Papers

V. Maryland in the Nineteenth Century

James Ryder Randall

James Ryder Randall of Baltimore attended Georgetown College from 1848 to 1856, but did not graduate due to illness. While teaching school in Louisiana, he read of the April 19th riots in Baltimore and immediately dashed off the poem that became the state song. The manuscript displayed here was written for the college in 1907. The manuscript, the photograph, and the student records are from the Georgetown University Archives.

Attack on the Massachusetts 6th

O. Pelton after Wm. Momberger. Attack on the Massachusetts 6th at Baltimore, April 19th, 1861. Steel engraving, 1862.

Eric Menke Collection

Turner-Magruder Telegram

George W. Turner to A.J. Magruder. Telegram, Columbia, Tennessee, April 20, 1861.

On April 19, 1861, a Baltimore mob attacked the Massachusetts 6th Regiment, which then opened fire on the crowd. James Ryder Randall was thus inspired to write the poem that become the state song. "Avenge the patriotic gore that flecked the streets of Baltimore!"

Koenig-Mayer Collection

"My Maryland!"

James Ryder Randall. "My Maryland!" (Holograph copy· written out by the author for Georgetown University in 1907).

James Ryder Randall Collection

Academic Award Certificate

Georgetown College Academic award certificate. Awarded Randall January 15, 1851.

Georgetown University Archives

Report Card

Georgetown College Report Card, Report issued on Randall July 15, 1852.

"Algebra: Neglected"
"Standing in the mathematics: Among the last."

Georgetown University Archives

Randall Carte de Visite Portrait

Blessing & Kuhn. Albumen imperial carte de visite portrait of James Ryder Randall.
(1875?) Autographed by the subject.

Union Recruiting Poster

To the people of Talbot County! Easton, December 25, 1863.

Union recruiting poster requiring all owners of able-bodied male slaves to make them available for service. This copy appears to hove been a printer's proof.

Eugene Boss Collection

Rose O'Neil Greenhow Daguerreotype

J. W. Whitehurst. Rose O'Neil Greenhow. Daguerreotype, ca. 1860.

Mrs. Greenhow, a native of Charles County, Maryland, was imprisoned in Washington as a Confederate spy. After her release, she travelled to Europe as an agent for the Confederacy. The ship on which she was returning to America sank, and Mrs. Greenhow was drowned, in part because of the large quantity of gold sewn into her garments.

David Rankin Barbee Papers

John Wilkes Booth Carte de Visite

Silsbee, Case & Co. John Wilkes Booth. Albumen carte de visite autographed by the subject. Boston, 1861. Booth was born in Bel Air, Maryland, in 1838.

Eugene Boss Collection

Conferederate Recruiting Poster

To the people of Maryland! September 8, 1862.

Eugene Boss Collection

Hammond General Hospital

A. Schütze. Hammond General Hospital auf Point Lookout, Maryland. Lithograph, Berlin, n.d.

Though less notorious then Andersonville, hundreds died at the Union prison comp at Point Lookout.

Georgetown University Library

Roll Book

Roll book, Fells Point Hebrew and English School, Baltimore, 1849-1851.

Maryland has long been a religiously pluralistic society. A small Jewish community gathered at Fells Point during the later coloniol era. However, they were denied the right to participate in local government until 1826.

Fells Point Hebrew School Papers

Marble Work

Thomas Towson and William Stewart. Bill for morble work against the Washington Monument, Baltimore, 1819.

Richard X. Evans Papers

Washington Monument

P. Haas. Washington Monument, Baltimore. Lithograph, co. 1830. Baltimore's Washington monument was designed by Robert Mills.

Richard X. Evans Papers

Travel Journal

Thomas Poultney. Journal from travels in Europe. 1853.

"Parlez vous Allemaine?"
"Non, madam, je suis Americain."
She raised her hands with an expression of pity, as though saying "Poor
savage, here he is, far from his native wilds, and he cannot speak any
languages at all."

Mr. Poultney, a young Marylander, portrays himself as an innocent abroad.

Thomas Poultney Papers

Lottery Tickets

Washington City Canal lottery tickets. Signed by Daniel Carroll of Duddington and Notley Young.

Eric Menke Collection

Ship's Manifest

Ship's manifest. Patapsco River, City of Baltimore Warehouse. October 30, 1800.

The Koenig-Moyer Collection

Check

(Blank check) Bank of Maryland. Baltimore, ca. 1850.

The Koenig-Mayer Collection

Thimbles

Bill of Sale for one gross of silver thimbles purchased by F. Koenig from Isaac de Young, 163 Market Street, Baltimore, February 21, 1828.

The Koenig-Mayer Collection

Tax Receipt

Tax receipt. Baltimore County Levy, July 10, 1817.

The Koenig-Mayer Collection

Shipping Receipt

Shipping receipt. Washington, Alexandria, and Georgetown Steam Pocket Line. November 28, 1829.

The Koenig-Mayer Collection

Gas Bill

Gas bill. Gos Light Company of Baltimore, November 28, 1858.

The Koenig-Mayer Collection

VI. Paths to the Present

Aqueduct

Anon. Construction of the Aqueduct over Cabin John Creek. Salt print, August 12, 1861.

Frank Wolfe Collection

Cabin John Souvenir

Alexander J. Yowell. Cabin John souvenir. Ferrotype, ca. 1885.

The Cabin John Bridge, said to be the largest stone arch in the world, was a favorite destination for excursions in the late nineteenth century. Note the photographer's advertisement.

Georgetown University Archives

Electric Railroad Engine

G.M. Gest. First commercial electric railroad engine, Baltimore 1885. Silver print from the original negative.

Mr. Gest was the engineer on the first commercial electric railway, which opened in Baltimore in 1885. The engine was built by Leo Daft.

Alexis Carrel Papers

J. Harris Rogers

Anon. J. Harris Rogers in his laboratory. Silver print, Hyattsville, Maryland, ca. 1920.

Rogers developed long wave radio broadcasting, a technique still used to communicate with submarines.

J. Harris Rogers Papers

The Capitol Limited

The Capitol Limited. Poster. Washington: B.G.C. Inc. ( 1924?)

Transportation west from the port of Baltimore has long been of vital interest to the citizens of Maryland, particularly the businessmen of Baltimore. The advent of bus transportation was no less important to the people of Southern Maryland.

O'Connor Railroadiana Collection

Proceedings of Sundry Citizens

Proceedings of Sundry Citizens convened for the purpose of devising the most efficient means of improving the intercourse between that city and the Western states. Baltimore: William Wooddy, 1827.

O'Connor Railroadiana Collection

Tidewater Lines Timetable

Time table. Tidewater Lines Inc. Southern Maryland motor transportation (ca. 1935).

O'Connor Railroadiana Collection

Die Baltimore-Ohio Eisenbahn

Carl Ghega. Die Baltimore-Ohio Eisenbahn. Vienna: Kaulfuss, Witwe, Prandel and Comp., 1844.

Detailed study of the B&O route over the Alleghenies; perhaps the first study of an American railroad conducted for a foreign government.

O'Connor Railroadiana Collection

Editorial Cartoons

Eric Smith. "Great Moments in History." Original editorial cartoons, ca. 1980.

Mr. Smith, a Georgetown graduate, is the political cartoonist for the Annapolis Capital-Gazette.

Eric Smith Collection

Commerce Along the C&O Canal

Eleazer Hutchinson Miller. Commerce along the C&O Canal. Etching. (Washington?), 1881.

The Jesuit Collection of Fine Prints

Maryland! Our Maryland!

Jeane Shaw Klender. "Maryland! Our Maryland!" 1982, 1984. Alternative version of the state song recently rejected by the Maryland legislature. Gift of Jeane Shaw Klender .

Georgetown University Library

Spiro T. Agnew

Anon. Spiro T. Agnew. Silver print, ca. 1968.

Gene Bassett Collection

Code of Fair Campaign Practice

Fair Campaign Practices Committee. Code of Fair Campaign Practice signed by Spiro T. Agnew. 1966.

Unfortunately, Maryland is well represented in the complaints file of the Fair Campaign Practices Committee.

Archives of the Fair Campaign Practices Commission

VII. Maryland Cartography

Map of the State of Maryland

Dennis Griffith, Map of the State of Maryland. 1794.

Griffith's map was produced with the aid of a £1000 loan from the Maryland legislature, which felt the map would be "of great utility." ln spite of the wealth of information it contained, the map sold few copies, and Griffith was forced to declare bankruptcy. He died destitute about 1805.

Georgetown University Library

Nova Terrae-Mariae tabula

John Ogilby. Nova Terrae-Mariae tabula. 1671.

Ogilby's map was intended to promote the growth of the colony. He was undoubtedly assisted by Lord Baltimore.

Georgetown University Library

Carey's Maryland

Mathew Carey. Maryland. 1814.

This map from Carey's Atlas of 1814 was either drawn by Samuel Lewis or copied from his earlier work.

Georgetown University Library

VIII. Rev. Joseph Mosley, S.J., A Typical 18th-Century Missioner

Rev. Joseph Mosley, S.J.

Accounts: Mr. George Hunter of Maryland with William Perkins of London, 1754-1759.

On May 16, 1758, Rev. George Hunter, S.J., as Superior, advanced ₤108/7/11 for the passage of Mosley and three other Jesuits. By agreement with the English Provincial, the Maryland mission was held responsible for transporting its own members to and from Europe.

Rev. Joseph Mosley, S.J., was born in Lincolnshire on November 16, 1731. He came to Maryland in 1758 and in 1765 established the mission of St. Joseph's in Talbot County, remaining there until his death in 1787. His life is typical of the missioners serving isolated congregations. Sixteen letters to his sister in London, Mrs. Dunn, survive. These came to Georgetown through the good offices of historian John Gilmary Shea. Together with the records in the Province Archives, these letters provide an unusually full description of Mosley's career.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Letter, 25 February 1758

Rev. Joseph Mosley, S.J., to Mrs. Dunn, London, 25 February 1758.

Preparing for his departure from England, Mosley, who had spent a great part of his life in Europe, informs his sister that, unlike before, "(I will) not be banished from my own Country for only 16 years but, for Love of God & the Conversion of souls to abandon it & you for always."

Mosley Papers

Letter, 14 October 1766

Rev. Joseph Mosley, S.J., to Mrs. Dunn, Tuckahoe, 14 October 1766.

After his arrival in Maryland in 1758, Mosley was "seasoned" at the older missions of Newtown and St. Thomas Manor, until he was able to establish his own missions in Talbot County in 1765. From his estate in Tuckahoe, Mosley regularly visited at least eight sub-stations, one of which was at a distance of ninety miles.

Mosley Papers

Sketch of the Chapel

Rev. Joseph Mosley, S.J. Sketch of the Chapel, Tuckahoe, Talbot County, Maryland. ca. 1780.

"Since the commencement of the war, I've built on my farm a brick chapel and dwelling house. It was a difficult and bold undertaking at that time, as every necessary, especially nails was very dear."

Mosley Papers

St. Joseph's Mission

Plat, St. Joseph's Mission, Tuckahoe, Talbot County, Maryland, ca. 1784.

The Maryland Jesuits were required to finance their own missionary activities. As a result, large estates were purchased and farmed either by slaves or tenants.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Account Book

Account book, St. Joseph's Mission, Talbot County, Maryland

As landowners, the Jesuits become part of the local economy. Mosley's account book shows financial transactions with members of the surrounding community. Also listed is charity given several Acadian families who settled on the Eastern shore.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Letter, 5 July 1773

Rev. Joseph Mosley, S.J., to Mrs. Dunn, Tuckahoe, 5 July 1773

"One night in particular, in a ride of sixty-four miles, raining from the first jump of my own door till I returned, to a sick person that is yet alive and little wanted me. It was the third ride I've made to that same man, three successive winters. He lives in a little hovel of his own. How I fared for any comforts there, you may well guess."

Mosley Papers

Sermon Manuscript

Rev. Joseph Mosley, S.J., Sermon manuscript, 1763-1784

Mosley and the other missionaries appear before about 1780 to have usually spoken from prepared texts. The notations at the top left of the manuscript list the various locations where the sermon was delivered.

Colonial Sermon Collection

Baptismal, marriage and burial register

Rev. Joseph Mosley, S.J. Baptismal, marriage and burial register, 1760-1801

Mosley's sacramental register is the earliest of its kind left by the Maryland Jesuits. The volume is opened to a page which records the fact that Mosley was prohibited from preaching at a funeral, "Having not qualified by an Oath (for the independence of America) to be taken by Law, by all that would preach..."

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

IX. Archbishop John Carroll

John Carroll

John Carroll was born in Upper Marlborough, Maryland, January 8, 1735, the son of Daniel and Eleanor (Darnall) Carroll. At the age of 13, he left Maryland to study at St. Omer's College in French Flanders, where he decided to join the Society of Jesus. He was ordained in 1769, and took his final vows as a Jesuit in 1771, two years before the promulgation of the Papal bull which dissolved the Society.

In 1774, due to the suppression, Carroll returned to America and took up residence with his mother at Rock Creek Manor, Maryland, where he planned a career as a simple country pastor.

It was not to be. First, the Continental Congress asked him to join the commission sent to persuade the Canadians to join the Revolution. With independence won, Carroll led the effort to organize the American clergy, which had been cut off from normal communication with Rome by the suppression of the Jesuits, who provided the majority of the clergy, and by the revolution, which ended administration through the Vicar General of London. Carroll's efforts were rewarded by his election to the American bishopric; he remains the only American bishop to be elected by his colleagues.

Carroll's episcopacy was long and distinguished. Perhaps his most significant achievement was his establishment of an American Roman Catholic church, an institution that was both loyal to Rome and consistent with the culture and government of the United States.

Silver Pocket Watch

Silver pocket watch. (not ofter 1815)

This watch belonged to Archbishop John Carroll. Its place and date of manufacture have not been ascertained; the movement is unmarked, and the case bears the stamps GFt and 1363, perhaps indicating: "G F(eci)t" "I (January) 3 ( 17 )63".

Georgetown University Collection

Memorandum

Rev. John Carroll. Draft of a memorandum on the organization of the clergy in America. ca. 1782.

Carroll's plans for the organization of the American clergy are notable for his insistence that the organization must be consistent with American principles.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Circular Letter, February 1787

Rev. John Carroll. To the Reverend Gentlemen of the Southern District, Maryland. February, 1787. Circular letter written by Carroll, but also signed by Revs. T. Digges, J. Ashton, C. Sewall, and S. Boarman.

The "Gentlemen of the Southern District," especially Rev. Bernard Diderich, opposed any measures which threatened the status quo, including the incorporation of the clergy, the establishment of a school, and the election of a bishop.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

The Most Rev. John Carroll of Baltimore

John Sartain after J.-P. Clorivière. The Most Rev. John Carroll of Baltimore. Baltimore: John Murphy, (1842?)

Georgetown University Library

Episcopal Seal

Stained glass reproduction of the Episcopal seal of Archbishop John Carroll. The Healy Building, Georgetown University.

Georgetown University Archives

Lulworth Castle

Lulworth Castle in Dorsetshire, the Seat of Humphrey Weld, Esqr. Publish'd as the Act directs April 1st 1785 by W. Watts, Chelsea.

View of the site of the consecration of John Carroll as first Bishop of Baltimore; engraved from the drawing by Lord Duncannon.

Georgetown University Library

First Pastoral Letter

Bishop John Carroll. First Pastoral Letter. Baltimore, 1792.

Archives of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus

Proposals for establishing an academy

(John Carroll) Proposals for establishing on academy. (Baltimore? 1786?)

Carroll's proposals outlined his plans for the academy at Georgetown. They remain worth reading.

Georgetown University Archives

X. Maryland in Literature

Rob of the Bowl: A Legend of St. Inigoe's

John P. Kennedy. Philadelphia: Lea & Blanchard, 1838.

First edition of a novel set in St. Mary's County in 1681; central to its action is the continuing rivalry of Catholic and Protestant factions in the colony.

Special Collections General 87A625

The Baltimore Gun Club

Jules Verne. Translated by Edward Roth. Philadelphia: King & Baird, 1874.

The novel is better known as From the Earth to the Moon.

Special Collections General 87A810

A Maryland Editor Abroad...

George Colton. A Maryland editor abroad, what he saw and what he thought of it. Annapolis: 1881.

All in all, he thought rather little of it.

Special Collections General 87A473

Mencken Letters

H.L. Mencken to Fulton Oursler. Baltimore, May 31, 1935; same to the same, February 8, 1940.

Fulton Oursler Papers

Menckeniana, A Schimpflexikon

H. L Mencken. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1928

"At last the low-down!" Presentation copy from the author to Sinclair Lewis.

Special Collections General LC PS3525.E43 Z7 1928b


Beautiful Swimmers: Watermen, Crabs, and the Chesapeake Bay

William M. Warner. Boston, Toronto: Atlantic-Little, Brown, 1976.

This study was awarded the Pulitzer Prize.

Lauinger Stacks SH380.45.U5 W37

Dearly Beloved

Harry Sylvester. New York: Duell, Sloan and Pearce, 1942.

A roman a clef about life in St. Mary's County in the late 1930's. To this day, many in the county remain less than pleased by Mr. Sylvester's characterizations.

Special Collections Off-Campus Shelving PS3537.Y537 D43 1942

Acknowledgments: 

Exhibition prepared by Margaret McAleer and Jon Reynolds.

The authors would like to express their gratitude to the Department of Government, the English Department, and the Office of the Provost for the use of their word processing equipment.