Learn how volunteers helped move nearly half a million books to prepare for Lauinger Library’s opening, how its collection exploded in size, and how it expanded into virtual and augmented reality in a newly available brochure.
The History of Lauinger Library 1970–2020 reviews the Library’s history, from its planning and construction to its modern services and future evolution. Lau replaced Riggs Memorial Library, which had opened in 1891. While Riggs was aesthetically magnificent, Georgetown had long outgrown its capacity to house books and it was no longer well-suited for the university’s evolving teaching and research needs.
The brochure contains dozens of photos from the University Archive and the Booth Family Center for Special Collections that illustrate the Library’s history. It was created by a large team of Library staff in recognition of Lau’s 50th anniversary.