CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: The library is closed effective Tuesday, March 24th.
Continuing services will include: access to online materials; reference, class or research consultations; and assistance with securing expanded online access to curriculum-based and/or research materials. For more information see the Georgetown Libraries COVID-19 Updates and Resources page and the Library's COVID-19 FAQ.
Entering & Exiting the Lauinger and Blommer Science Libraries
Georgetown University students, faculty, and staff with a current Georgetown University ID (GOCard) may use Lauinger Library during all hours of operation. Visitors may use Lauinger between 8am and 11pm.
Users with current, valid Georgetown University ID (GOCard)
- Between 8am and 11pm, anyone with a current, valid Georgetown University ID (GOCard) may enter Lauinger Library without signing in by showing the guard at the Security Desk the GOCard. Between 11pm and 8am they will be asked to swipe their GOCard to confirm their current status at the University.
- Between 11pm and 8am, only current Georgetown University students, staff, visiting researchers, and faculty can enter Lauinger Library. They must have, and show upon the request of a Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD) officer a current, valid Georgetown ID (GOCard).
Visitors to the Library
- Guests (e.g. family members, GU tour groups) accompanying anyone with a valid GOCard may also enter provided that they sign in at the Lauinger Library Security Desk.
- Lauinger Library is open to visitors from 8am to 11pm. VIsitors in the library between 11pm and 8am will be escorted out of the library.
- Visitors must show one of the following government-issued, photo IDs (must be physical document - no mobile displays) with a current, embedded expiration date to the Security Desk guard and sign in each time they enter Lauinger Library:
- U.S. federal government ID
- U.S. DMV driver’s license
- U.S. DMV identification
- U.S. Military ID
- U.S. Permanent Residency Card
- Passport - Citizens of foreign countries MUST show a current passport or photocopy of current passport to gain entry. Foreign driver licenses are not accepted.
- Visitors from the Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) and the Chesapeake Information Research Library Alliance (CIRLA) libraries may show their institutional photo IDs and sign in at the Security Desk each time they enter Lauinger Library.
- Groups with several non-GU affiliated guests may expedite the entering process by sending a list of attendees to the Coordinator of Library Instruction at least 24 hours before your event. Visitors who are on the list will only need to show a government-issued photographic ID to enter and will not have to sign in.
- High school students (9th – 12th grade), may show either a valid current school picture ID with an expiration date, or a current, government-issued, photo ID with an expiration date, and sign in at the Security Desk each time they enter Lauinger.
- Visitors younger than 14 years who are not in high school must be accompanied by an adult.
Blommer Science Library, 3rd floor of the Reiss Science Building
- Access to the Reiss Building is restricted after 8pm on weekdays and all day on weekends and holidays:
- Georgetown University students, faculty and staff must swipe their GOCards to gain access to the Blommer Science Library during restricted hours. On holidays, see the Hours schedule.
- Visitors without a Georgetown ID card (GOCard) may enter the Science Library until 8pm Monday - Thursday and until 6pm Friday.
Exiting the Libraries
All persons leaving the library must pass through the electronic loss prevention system installed at the exits of the Lauinger and Blommer Science libraries. Occasionally non-library materials, such as rented videos or books from a bookstore, may activate the detection system. If the alarm sounds, you must present all materials for inspection to the security guard or a library staff member. Intentional removal of library-owned materials that are not properly checked out will result in disciplinary action.